4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Just lowered car...

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 02:34 PM
getafewlives
4th Gear Member

Default Just lowered car...

Alright, my car has been parked all winter and I have been doing work on it, such as lowering springs. Pretty much I just want to know how long I can go before I need an alignment? I know that right away is the best, and sooner the better. But I intend to take out the springs and cut a bit off (not as low as I was expecting) and I am going to be selling my winter beater before I get a chance to do this. Meaning I will have no choice but to drive the mustang to school.

Will it be that bad if I drive the mustang to school and back for a week, before I get a chance to get an alignment?
Old 02-22-2010, 02:40 PM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

No harm in a week. It's just gonna chew your front tires pretty badly. You could drive it forever like that as long as you didn't mind throwing piles of tires at it.

My alignment is still whacked out because I can't get a place to do it right. C/C plates and a bumpsteer kit seem to confuse almost anyone who looks at it around here, sigh. Too bad they won't let me use the alignment machine myself... I'd finally get it done right. I go through a set of front tires every 10-12k miles as mine is now. Toe angle is wrong so that's what does the most damage.

You may also need a bumpsteer kit - not to correct bumpsteer, but to correct the toe angle.
Old 02-22-2010, 02:44 PM
98redstang
5th Gear Member

I didnt need bumpsteer or CC's believe i dropped around 1.5" maybe more. My tires still wear fine and the car doesnt pull to either side at all. Guess i just lucked out.
Old 02-22-2010, 03:16 PM
getafewlives
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 98redstang
I didnt need bumpsteer or CC's believe i dropped around 1.5" maybe more. My tires still wear fine and the car doesnt pull to either side at all. Guess i just lucked out.
I hope I luck out here too. I do not want to buy CC plates.

Do you have pics of how low your car is?
Old 02-22-2010, 03:32 PM
98redstang
5th Gear Member

Not at the moment but i can get some up possibly tomorrow if you want.
Old 02-22-2010, 03:39 PM
getafewlives
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 98redstang
Not at the moment but i can get some up possibly tomorrow if you want.
That would be awesome. Might give me an idea of how low I can go before I need CC plates.
How much of a gap is there in between the wheel well and the tire?
Old 02-22-2010, 03:50 PM
98redstang
5th Gear Member

haha enough idk the exact mesurement ill let you know tomorrow with the pics.
Old 02-22-2010, 04:37 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

Are your springs progressive rate? If so, i heard that you shouldn't cut them...

As for driving without an alignment, im sure you'll be fine to drive around for a week, but it would be best to get an alignement sooner than later.. i wouldnt want to be buying tires for those 18" bullitts lol
Old 02-22-2010, 07:27 PM
getafewlives
4th Gear Member

Not sure about progressive or not, but w/e. If it's a bouncy ride then it's a bouncy ride. I don't plan on cutting much off. Just a tad, I really don't think it will affect the spring rate that much.

Also, one more question. I need new rear shocks and have them ordered, but I won't get them at my door for a while. Installing rear shocks after an alignment won't change anything right?
Old 02-22-2010, 08:52 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

My car was dropped 2" and went without an alignment for 800-1000 miles, just wore down the outside edges pretty good, but 2 1/2 years later I still have the same tires with little wear since. The steering wheel felt really light during that time, took a little getting used to. I know you said you don't care if it's a little bouncy, I personally wouldn't cut the springs. Your car will ride like those Civics you see where the guy is bouncing all around inside while just going 35 over slightly wavy road surface. I know money's a bitch right now, but springs are only like $200, and you'll thank yourself for it. And regarding your last question, the rear shocks won't affect your alignment (pretty sure you can do the fronts without an alignment as well).

Quick Reply: Just lowered car...