4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

New Owner 1997 GT Convertible with a transmission problem...

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 02:20 PM
mtrai

Default New Owner 1997 GT Convertible with a transmission problem...

Here is the situation.

I bought a used a 1997 Convertible Mustang GT. All was fine at first, about a month or so after owning I noticed the automatic transmission seemed to be slipping and reving going around sharp curves. Well me and a friend pulled in a super Walmart and I thought let me check the transmission fluid. We did and none was touching the dip stick. So we bought some in the Walmart. We put about 3 and half quarts in. After putting this amount in over about 30 minutes it was now over full.

Here is where I think things went really wrong. ( not going to even talk about taking it into a place to have all the fluids changed 4 weeks earlier just after I bought it)

Well not knowing any better...I thought all ATF fluid was the same...and as I figured out later I had gotten the wrong ATF. It was a dexon 3/mercon 3 not a mercon 5. It ran fine after we left Walmart and we drove it about 8 miles. A little bit later I drove it on a short errand about 2 miles round trip and parked it. All was fine.

About 7 hours later, we got in it to drive it home...and it would not go in drive, first or second. It will go into a reverse just fine. In drive it seems like it is in neutral. Idles between 500 and 1000 RPM. We sipon-ed about 3 quarts out the next day and still no go.

Looking for possible solutions before having the transmission replaced or rebuild. I have found an identical used Transmission with 60K less miles on it for about $300.00 with a 6 months parts warrantee.

I know I will need the transmission serviced. Before I do that with the non working one...what things should I try?

My questions are should:

-- Go out and buy some mercon 5 fluid and put it in and see if that might fix the problem?

-- Have the transmission pan dropped and change the filter?

-- I have also been told it might be a blown seal since it will go into reverse...and to have that checked? Which would be more cost effective to have the seals checked and or fixed or replace it with the used transmission?

--Should I even bother with trying these and just get the used transmission?

-- Any other thoughts or ideas on this problem?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-02-2010, 04:34 PM
JC316
4th Gear Member

Could be the neutral safety switch. Common on the 4R70W. I doubt putting Mercon 3 in did anything. Mercon 5 is the same, just better for heat. Pull the pan off and see how many metal shavings are there, if a lot, then change out with the used tranny.
Old 03-04-2010, 10:55 AM
mtrai

Well being the person I am, I went ahead and tried the mercon 5...I syphoned out about 4 quarts...it was cold, windy, raining...and I was outside. I know this was not the best solution.

Well here are the results after I put in some mercon 5...it wanted to go into drive..and would actually pull. After putting in 4 quarts...it made a loop around the yard. Prior to this it would not pull at all or engage into drive at all. It did lack power but at least it would not engage and move.

My next step is to have the transmission serviced, drop the pan change the filter and all. My other half is insisting I take it to a "pro" while I would rather do it myself, even though I have never done this before.

After that, I will have the transmission flushed and serviced once again.

This is my plan.