4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

EGR emergency! BBK LT install, HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 12:18 AM
Nestang
2nd Gear Member

probably the last thing a person in my situation wants to hear.. you can keep that kind of information to yourself next time[/QUOTE]

Sorry man but I honeslty never had a problem, just curious but did you buy the ceramic coated ones? because mine lined up great but it did turn fairly tight because of the coating on the threads. Glad to hear you got it though, if I remember right mine was completely tight but there was still a few threads showing because their bung or whatever you'd like to call it is plenty long to get it tightened up. Its a tough install and takes alot of patience and knuckle banging.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:57 PM
rik_0_1
1st Gear Member

I'm installng lt's on my car right now also, my buddy welded the egr nipple on the header for me. I was wondering what kind plug do you use for the plenum?
Old 03-06-2010, 01:23 AM
trailor
3rd Gear Member

to Nestang: no, mine are chrome. like i said, i didnt have any thread showing, but theres a spot right under the threads thats just blank and that spot is exposed. but since it seems like the egr pipe, or "nipple" as rik_0_1 called it, is very well sealed, and will be even better sealed after i go over it with hi-temp sealant, im more than satisfied. got everything back together, now just need to put the h-pipe on and wait for those damn o2 extensions...

to rik_0_1: not sure what you mean, what about the plenum? what does that hafta do with the install? are you referring to the plugs attached to the egr assembly, which it bolted onto the plenum, but is not actually a part of the plenum itself? i'm confused

Last edited by trailor; 03-06-2010 at 01:26 AM.
Old 03-06-2010, 02:41 AM
massred98gt
2nd Gear Member

the thing the egr is attached to is called the intake plenum. he deleted his egr so he needs a plate to cover the hole in the plenum where the egr used to be. and good luck trying to get the oil dipstick back in. the biggest PITA ever and i installed shorties i can only imagine the lack of room with long tubes. even if you do get it through the manifolds and somewhat lined up with oil pan good luck getting any leverage to seat it.
Old 03-06-2010, 08:49 AM
Sniper6677
2nd Gear Member

What i did was remove the EGR valve...threaded the tube to the header...then to the EGR valve....then reattach the EGR valve...valve gasket should be fine to re use.
Old 03-06-2010, 11:02 AM
trailor
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by massred98gt
the thing the egr is attached to is called the intake plenum. he deleted his egr so he needs a plate to cover the hole in the plenum where the egr used to be. and good luck trying to get the oil dipstick back in. the biggest PITA ever and i installed shorties i can only imagine the lack of room with long tubes. even if you do get it through the manifolds and somewhat lined up with oil pan good luck getting any leverage to seat it.
your right, it does connect to the plenum, but i was confused about the way he worded it.. its not really a plug that goes into the plenum, more like a whole assembly, the only "plugs" are attached to the EGR, if that makes any sense.. ?

anyway, odd thing about the dipstick.. three days ago, i tried jamming the thing down in there, bending it a little, etc. the next day, i bent it more, broke it in half, and ordered a new one from my friend at ford. in the meantime, i installed the k-member, motor mounts, etc.. then yesterday when the dipstick came in, i realized i needed to take out the damn motor mount to put it in. HOWEVER, once i did, the dipstick pretty much slid right into place. crazy!
Old 03-06-2010, 01:55 PM
massred98gt
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by trailor
your right, it does connect to the plenum, but i was confused about the way he worded it.. its not really a plug that goes into the plenum, more like a whole assembly, the only "plugs" are attached to the EGR, if that makes any sense.. ?

anyway, odd thing about the dipstick.. three days ago, i tried jamming the thing down in there, bending it a little, etc. the next day, i bent it more, broke it in half, and ordered a new one from my friend at ford. in the meantime, i installed the k-member, motor mounts, etc.. then yesterday when the dipstick came in, i realized i needed to take out the damn motor mount to put it in. HOWEVER, once i did, the dipstick pretty much slid right into place. crazy!
crazy how sh*t works out. thats kinda like when i changed the thermostat on my SHO. I couldn't get the air bubbles to release in the system. i tried every trick in the book, but nothing worked. i got so pissed, my car was up on jacks at the time, i kicked the krap out of the front bumper causing the car to fall off the jacks. at that very instant the car burped and all was good. welcome to fred flintstones mechanic school.
Old 03-08-2010, 12:29 AM
Nestang
2nd Gear Member

I went with one of these Lokars for a dipstick, I like it alot more than the factory. She can get pretty warm after a long trip but it works and looks great.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/LOK-ED-5014/
Old 03-08-2010, 01:09 AM
jvog
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by trailor

I forgot to put my dipstick tube back in before I dropped my motor in, couldn't get it in, broke it in half because i was pissed and order the Lokar flexible one mentioned above lol
Old 03-08-2010, 01:52 AM
Nestang
2nd Gear Member

Ya I love it, I guess they make ones that lock now too, but I never had a problem with mine not seating really well.