4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Opinions on next mods...

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 11:55 PM
dastangman
2nd Gear Member

Default Opinions on next mods...

Hey, well talked to the engine builder today and the engine is back in the car, the car runs fine, and they're just going to check everything out...probably put it on the dyno to do some preliminary checks of the tune and get it relatively driveable until the engine is broken in. Then sometime this summer we can see what power she's making and get a good tune throughout the whole rpm range. Just wanted to get some opinions and some answers to some questions on which directions to head.

Pre-Build: I was running stock internals (9.85:1 compression) with Vortech S-Trim V2 @ 10psi w/aftercooler and we made about 463rwhp. This was a bit over what the engine could handle, especially when we had some detonation issues.

New Build: So, now we've got everything forged (stock Cobra crank, Scat rods, Diamond pistons (9.2:1 compression). I understand that usually people recommend 9.5:1 at least with a centri, but I'd like plenty of room for error because I can't afford to rebuild engines every couple years, I can't guarantee the gas around here, and it's just a street car to cruise around in. I can make up for the low end in gearing I'm assuming at the loss of top speed (but I wouldn't really go much into triple digits anyways) and the lost power in boost. Not sure exactly how much 1psi of boost adds in hp, but that's why we ask questions. Plus, lowering the compression ratio 9.2:1 slightly opens up my options for future. And when I hit my midlife crisis and feel like a different power adder it's not too high of compression for twin screw, pretty good for turbo, and maybe even to combine the Vortech with a small shot of nitrous. I like to keep my options open, as pulling the engine once is much better than twice for me.

So, basically, here's the mod list as it is and then the TO DO list will follow and I'd just like some feedback on if I'm heading in the right direction to meet a goal of say 450-500rwhp.

~Current Mods~
Forged Internals (9.2:1 CR)
Vortech S-Trim V2 HO w/Powercooler (Air-Water Aftercooler)
GReddy BOV
Draw Through 90mm Lightning MAF
42lb Injectors
Dual 235lph Bosche Pumps
K&N CAI
Ford Racing Shorty Headers Ceramic Coated (w/newly installed Stage 8 locking header bolts)
Slotted Rotors, Upgraded Brakes, and 1.5" Lowering Springs (I honestly can't give information on brands because I didn't install those parts, previous owner did and there's no documentation on them)

~Future Mods with pertaining questions~

Oil Separator - Is this even necessary?

4.10 gears - Will this probably make up for loss in compression down low, or would you recommend something a little higher. I was fine with how low end torque was stock with the 9.85:1 compression, so I'd like to be close to that, if not a little faster acceleration. I'm having a hard time understanding what .65 difference in compression is actually going to make. I've heard percentages thrown around on 1 whole point in compression as like 4% or something, and that at 8.5:1 with a centri it'd be sluggish, but I'm having difficulty picturing what 9.2:1 is going to feel like. Until the engines broken in, I can't really get on it anyways to find out how sluggish, or non sluggish it is.
BilletFlow Differential Cover

Smaller Pulley - What size and boost should I probably be able to get without going to an 8-rib pulley? The supercharger itself maxes out at 17psi & 53000rpm according to Vortech...What would be a close boost amount for roughly 475rwhp. Would the Reichard pulley be a good choice if I'm not ready to spend for the 8-rib swap?

Powerpipe - Should increase my boost, but does this increase in boost also affect the 17psi max, meaning could I theoretically run 17psi on the supercharger and then add 2lbs with the PowerPipe without overspinning the supercharger and creating more heat? According to AFM it shouldn't.

~Mods that prolly won't happen too soon unless necessary~
Full Length Subframe Connectors
IRS Bushings
If needed Boost a Pump and Spark (are these really that great of a fuel and ignition mod)
60lb Injectors eventually...at which point do these need to replace the 42lb.
SCT-90mm BA-3000MAF (90mm Lightning hasn't pegged yet in a draw through scenario at 465rwhp)
Should I just leave nitrous out of the picture, or could I find a kit that comes with even larger injectors to handle a supercharged + nitrous application. This seems to be playing with fire though, and I see it causing more problems than it's worth, but at this point I don't know much about supercharged + nitrous with these engines.

In terms of use, the car is more of a weekend cruiser, and it doesn't see any track time anymore because the fiance says I can't afford to break stuff. But I still wanna make some fairly decent horsepower, in the range of maybe between 460-500rwhp...not really trying to exceed that 500rwhp mark yet. The motor is built to handle some insane numbers some day, but not anytime soon.

So, sorry for all the questions, I understand that there's a lot of variables, but I'm just trying to bunch everything together instead of having 100 different threads for each topic. Just trying to plan ahead. Sorry for the long novel of a post.

Last edited by dastangman; 03-04-2010 at 12:24 AM.