4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Are springs and c/c plates enough?

Old 03-16-2010, 03:11 PM
MidNightRunner
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Cobrajets
I've searched the stickies and recent lowering threads and still I'm not completely sure. I am looking to lower my 2000 GT. After all the hours of research, I decided on H & R SuperSport springs and MM C/C plates. I am running Saleen 18s with Nitto 555s and 245/40s. Do I need to upgrade my shocks and struts at the same time? Other upgrades I've read about seem like they can be done at a later date. I can afford to buy the springs and c/c plates now with an alignment. I just can't afford shocks, struts, bumpsteer kit, ball joints, etc. I am also planning on getting 10.5 Saleens for the rear with 295s in the future. How much will I notice the bumpsteer and harshness of the ride? It is only driven on the nice days, not a DD. No racing of any kind right now, just street driving/cruising. Wife also drives the car on occasion. Should I wait till I can get everything at one time or can I get my 4X4 closer to Earth now?
In retrospect I think that springs and bumpsteer should be done together to correct the geometry. The C&C plate is not going to help your handling as much as the bumpsteer IMO.
I would do the shocks and C&C plates at the same time.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:01 PM
Cobrajets
1st Gear Member

On all the research I've done. The reason I was going with the c/c plates with the spring drop(which I can afford now), was because several members said the alignment would not get into specs without the c/c plates, with the H&R Super Sports. So, if I decide to get the bumpsteer kit. Should I wait and save for the ball joints before I do the drop, or will that be good for now? If I wait to install the ball joints later, will I have to get another frontend alignment? The reason I'm asking is because it's driving season, and I really want it lowered now, but money is tight. If not getting everything at once is not the correct and safe way to do it, I'll just wait.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:51 AM
Nestang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 5pointslow91
i cant even get a jack under the front of my car mines so low, have to drive my car up on wood just for alittle extra clearence
Haha I have the same problem, I need a nice low pro jack now. I have H&R SS with just bumpsteer and its not bad at all, although I am working on getting x-2 balljoints, shocks/struts, and MM c/c plates.
Old 03-19-2010, 04:39 PM
MidNightRunner
2nd Gear Member

On all the research I've done. The reason I was going with the c/c plates with the spring drop(which I can afford now), was because several members said the alignment would not get into specs without the c/c plates, with the H&R Super Sports. So, if I decide to get the bumpsteer kit. Should I wait and save for the ball joints before I do the drop, or will that be good for now? If I wait to install the ball joints later, will I have to get another frontend alignment? The reason I'm asking is because it's driving season, and I really want it lowered now, but money is tight. If not getting everything at once is not the correct and safe way to do it, I'll just wait.
If you can hold out on the install till you get the ball joints then you'll save a ton of work and you'll be in a good place till you do the rest. I know how hard it is to wait, I couldn't, I did everything one at a time.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:20 PM
Cobrajets
1st Gear Member

OK. I'll try to wait for the ball joints and bumpsteer kit. Are the stock shocks and struts going to be ok for a while? If I can get this year out of it. I'll probably buy Tokicos next spring. It'll probably get driven less than 6000 miles this year. Only drive it on nice days and gets stored for the winter.
Old 03-20-2010, 12:06 AM
Nestang
2nd Gear Member

Yeah they should last you that long, thats what Im doing as well, but hopefully will get some by springs end.
Old 03-20-2010, 02:18 PM
MidNightRunner
2nd Gear Member

OK. I'll try to wait for the ball joints and bumpsteer kit. Are the stock shocks and struts going to be ok for a while? If I can get this year out of it. I'll probably buy Tokicos next spring. It'll probably get driven less than 6000 miles this year. Only drive it on nice days and gets stored for the winter.
You'll be fine just check them for leaks once a month or so. Mine eventually broke down but lasted over a year.