4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Squeaking from wheel well over bumps

Old 03-19-2010, 03:46 PM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

Default Squeaking from wheel well over bumps

Thanks to the lovely Connecticut roads that I am forced to drive on, recently the front left of my car has been emitting a distinct and loud chirp like squeak, really high pitched, whenever I go over certain bumps, if I hit it at the right SLOW speed, and the car bounces in a certain way, it'll squeak. It's especially audible when I'm going round and up and up in my school parking garage.

What could this be? Strut? Its a squeak, and it's loud. It will happen every time at low speeds >5mph if I come like off a driveway into the street, that shallow little dip... it's like woomp, squeak squeak as the car takes the pressure. So annoying! This makes me feel like my car is junk when I roll by people and I'm squeaking everywhere!!
Old 03-19-2010, 04:17 PM
MidNightRunner
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Evenexchange
Thanks to the lovely Connecticut roads that I am forced to drive on, recently the front left of my car has been emitting a distinct and loud chirp like squeak, really high pitched, whenever I go over certain bumps, if I hit it at the right SLOW speed, and the car bounces in a certain way, it'll squeak. It's especially audible when I'm going round and up and up in my school parking garage.

What could this be? Strut? Its a squeak, and it's loud. It will happen every time at low speeds >5mph if I come like off a driveway into the street, that shallow little dip... it's like woomp, squeak squeak as the car takes the pressure. So annoying! This makes me feel like my car is junk when I roll by people and I'm squeaking everywhere!!
I've had the same problem for a while now and I'm just about ready to tackle it.
My guess is that its a bushing... now good luck trying to find which one! I think mine is coming from the rack and pinion because I'll get that squeak over a bump and also one when I turn the wheel, not power steering fluid related. Start with the bushings on the front sway bar. I think you can just put some all purpose grease between them. Could be the control arm bushings too. As soon as I get mine fixed I'll let you know what it was because I know how much it sucks living with it like this. Good luck, let me know what you come up with.
Old 03-20-2010, 11:17 PM
98cobraguy
1st Gear Member

Cool Struts

Check your struts for wear
Old 03-20-2010, 11:20 PM
98cobraguy
1st Gear Member

Default tie rods

it may be your tie rods to
[IMG=http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/3508/mybabykp.jpg][/IMG]
Old 03-20-2010, 11:57 PM
98cobraguy
1st Gear Member

fdfdfgd
Old 03-21-2010, 01:50 PM
JRad405
3rd Gear Member

it happened to me once and it was from a strut placed on improperly from the struts. squeeking then you will probably need to replace the bushing depending on how worn it is.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:11 AM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

So it's unanimous? Most of you think it is a strut bushing?
To be honest... I didn't put my struts on, some shop did a long time ago. I have never put them on, but I have put on shocks before. Are the struts much harder?
Old 04-10-2010, 10:42 PM
2kStangGT08
2nd Gear Member

I'm having a similar issue, but the squeaking comes from my rear driver side. It happens when I'm rolling forward, then I start to accel and at 15-20mph it stops. Anybody have a clue?
Old 04-11-2010, 02:23 AM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

That is interesting. An update on this issue - I was roaring up a deserted parking garage and taking turns fast - 20mph maybe - normally I go maybe 5mph. and there was NO squeak. It seems to be a slow moving issue.

2kStang.... is this similar to the issues you are experiencing?
Old 04-11-2010, 03:54 PM
2kStangGT08
2nd Gear Member

As far as slow moving issue yeah, I have not tryd to hear it while turning

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Squeaking from wheel well over bumps