4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Shifter Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 09:14 AM
SideSwipe
1st Gear Member

Default Shifter Question

Hi, i recently got a 00 GT and so far i only have one complaint. Im pretty tall so i have to put the seat pretty far back so my head does not hit the roof lol. This creates a problem because i can barely reach the shifter. Going in to 1st/3rd/5th is a hassle and not a very comfortable driving position. I dont know why Ford put the thing so far forward!! Anyways is there a shifter out there that i can buy which bends back a bit more towards the driver so the reach would be easier? There must be some more people out there with this complaint?

Thanks
Old 03-21-2010, 09:37 AM
ct_white_stang
4th Gear Member

Look into the MGW, you can adjust the handle on this one. I am not sure that will solve your problem though.
Old 03-21-2010, 09:54 AM
cisurfer
5th Gear Member

take your seat out and sit on the floor! haha, im 6'4" and have no problems, if your tall your arms should be long enough to reach unless your not proportional lol
Old 03-21-2010, 11:12 AM
Cobrajets
1st Gear Member

I just put a MGW in my 2000 GT last week and I really like it. I'm 6'1" and sit with seat almost all the way back and somewhat reclined to be comfortable. I have the handle on the shifter adjusted to about 8 o'clock and it seems to fit real nice there. It's closer to my knee and 4th to 5th shift is about where 2nd to 3rd shift use to be with the stock shifter.
Old 03-21-2010, 12:21 PM
SideSwipe
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Cobrajets
I just put a MGW in my 2000 GT last week and I really like it. I'm 6'1" and sit with seat almost all the way back and somewhat reclined to be comfortable. I have the handle on the shifter adjusted to about 8 o'clock and it seems to fit real nice there. It's closer to my knee and 4th to 5th shift is about where 2nd to 3rd shift use to be with the stock shifter.
Does the shifter reach back towards the driver any more than the stock one though?
Old 03-21-2010, 11:06 PM
Cobrajets
1st Gear Member

It all depends on where you place the handle. Like I said I have mine in the 8 o'clock position. With the shifter in 1st, 3rd and 5th my elbow is just resting on the end of the console lid. With the shifter in 2nd and 4th my arm is on the console lid about 4 inches. If you put it in the 6 o'clock position, it would probably be about an inch closer. One thing to be aware of, if you care is the front cupholder in the 2000 GT, which is just about useless anyway. I use it for my wallet and phone. You could adjust the MGW to allow the use of it for a drink, if you'd like to.
Old 03-21-2010, 11:57 PM
Cobrajets
1st Gear Member

Here is a pic directly overhead, with the MGW shifter in 5th gear. Don't rag on the shifter ball. I had this ball for about twenty years and finally put it in a car and I love it.http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/5...entaspx1da.jpg

Last edited by Cobrajets; 03-22-2010 at 12:01 AM.
Old 03-22-2010, 05:51 AM
scooter3
4th Gear Member

I am 6'4" and have no issues. I have pretty long arms though! LOL! My seat is pretty much all the way back. I plan on getting the MGW shifter too so I am hoping it will work out.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:50 AM
SideSwipe
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Cobrajets
Here is a pic directly overhead, with the MGW shifter in 5th gear. Don't rag on the shifter ball. I had this ball for about twenty years and finally put it in a car and I love it.http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/5...entaspx1da.jpg
Thanks a lot for posting the pics, it definitely looks closer to the driver than stock, i will consider buying it as well. Do you find the shifting a lot smoother and nicer than stock? Oh and i like the shift ****.
Old 03-22-2010, 04:35 PM
Cobrajets
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by SideSwipe
Thanks a lot for posting the pics, it definitely looks closer to the driver than stock, i will consider buying it as well. Do you find the shifting a lot smoother and nicer than stock? Oh and i like the shift ****.
I have pics of all the gears if you want to see them. I just figured 5th was the fartherest away. Shifting to me is much nicer than stock. It is still a little tight, but nothing I didn't expect. I only have a few hundred miles on it. It has a much tighter pattern than stock and feels very precise. Centering spring makes 2nd to 3rd shifts almost impossible to miss. Trust me on this. You can't go wrong with getting one.

Quick Reply: Shifter Question