4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Manual Steering Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 09:42 AM
dr.apex
2nd Gear Member

Default Manual Steering Question

Yesturday, I got my a/c delete kit and UDP's. While looking at what parts of the a/c system to take out, I was trying to figure out what else I could get out of the engine bay to free up hp and save weight. I decide that I wanted to get a battery relocation kit, get rid of the power steering and possibly a electric water pump if one is available for my car.
Is there a kit to delete the power steering pump? Or is there a manual steering rack that needs to be swaped for the power steering rack.
I want to order the new stuff asap, so any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Old 03-24-2010, 10:25 AM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

i would leave the power steering. leave the car somewhat pleasent to drive after taking out the a/c lol

from what you are doing i assume this is not a DD? After removing a/c, relocate battery, and UDP's i would maybe look into taking out the "sound deadener" stuff from the trunk/interior.

i forget if the stangs have any but i know the Tbirds and Mark 8's have a bunch of it. while you are at it, fabircate your own rear seat delete (couple pounds there)

again if it's only a weekend warrior, maybe take out winshield washer tank/pump?

as far as a kit for manual steering i dont have any info. sorry
Old 03-24-2010, 10:36 AM
dr.apex
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by smitty2919
i would leave the power steering. leave the car somewhat pleasent to drive after taking out the a/c lol

from what you are doing i assume this is not a DD? After removing a/c, relocate battery, and UDP's i would maybe look into taking out the "sound deadener" stuff from the trunk/interior.

i forget if the stangs have any but i know the Tbirds and Mark 8's have a bunch of it. while you are at it, fabircate your own rear seat delete (couple pounds there)

again if it's only a weekend warrior, maybe take out winshield washer tank/pump?

as far as a kit for manual steering i dont have any info. sorry
You're right, this is not my dd. I bought it spceifically to hit up axe events and road courses.
I am, not at all, concerned, with "creature comforts". They have no business in a "sports car". I say sportscar because thats the plan for it. I know some will argue that a mustang is a ponycar or whatever else. I don't want anything in the car that is unneeded to race except for the few things needed to keep it street legal looking...ie head lights/brake lights/wipers etc.
I do plan on killen weight on the interior, but my focus is on the engine bay right now...simply due to the fact that I've already started there.

I just don't know if I can, simply, pull the power steering and replace it with a pulley...much like the a/c, or is if it's a matter of swapping in a completley different rack.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:46 AM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

You are aware that even full blown road race cars have power steering?
Your brakes work off the power steering pump also (hydro boost system)
so you will have to convert to V6 brake booster
you seem to building an autox/road race car with little seat time.if it were me I would figure out the car now and than start removing things

Last edited by BraMas; 03-24-2010 at 01:51 PM.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:02 PM
dr.apex
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BraMas
You are aware that even full blown road race cars have power steering?
Your brakes work off the power steering pump also (hydro boost system)
so you will have to convert to V6 brake booster
you seem to building an autox/road race car with little seat time.if it were me iwould figure out the car now and than start removing things
your oppinion is appreciated and you're right, my seat time is limited. This is in the path of weight savings. I just don't have a use for powersteering. I've had several cars without powersteering and the only time,when not having it, is an inconveniece is when the car is at a stop. When it's rolling, it's no different than having it.

I did just learn that the brakes and powersteering were linked, but wasn't given an explanation. I was told that Flaming River carries a maual rack that I could pick up.
So you're saying that I need to convert to a V6 brake booster. What are the drawbacks of it and is there a parts list to do the conversion? I have limited brake system knowledge so please bear with me.
Old 03-24-2010, 01:50 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

I promise you that you want power steering for AutoX and Open Track days. If your car was going straight only I would agree tack the PS off. Seriously get some events in before you go ripping your car apart. Go do a 15 min open track event with your Power steering in and tell me how beat you are after than imagine doing the same 15 minute session with no power steering
Old 03-24-2010, 01:53 PM
dr.apex
2nd Gear Member

I promise you that you want power steering for AutoX and Open Track days. If your car was going straight only I would agree tack the PS off. Seriously get some events in before you go ripping your car apart. Go do a 15 min open track event with your Power steering in and tell me how beat you are after than imagine doing the same 15 minute session with no power steering
I get your point.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:28 PM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

look at UPR's website, i was just there and noticed they had some manual racks.

http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-steering-rack.html
Old 03-25-2010, 11:27 AM
dr.apex
2nd Gear Member

ok...
So I picked the brains of a few roadracers and auto x'ers who are members of the SCCA. I explained my plan and asked if it was any harder to race without powersteering, and the answer was a resounding no. In fact, they comfirmed my original thought that once the car is moving, there is no difference.

With that said, I plan on moving forward with my plan for the swap. I was told about a brake booster swap, made by Strange, that works well with my car and the manual rack.
My question is, do I have to swap to a manual rack? Or can I get away with just pitchin the pump and swapping in the brake booster?

Also, it was suggested that the v6 booster may not work, due to fitment issues. So, any thoughts from the people with expirience on this would be appreciated. I just want to weigh out the possibilities while staying cost affective.
oh yeah, thanks for the manual racks link