4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Installing Steeda Bumpsteer Kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 01:10 PM
mstang2k6
1st Gear Member

Default Installing Steeda Bumpsteer Kit

So, I've had these lying around for over a year now and since it's finally starting to get nice out, I figured i'd get these installed on the stang. I've looked at the installation instructions on AM.com, but I was wondering if anyone who's done this install could provide any additional helpful insight (i.e., hard parts of the install, how much space is needed between the spindle and tie end rod, special tools needed).If anyone could provide some pics of the install that would be very helpful, especially the amount of spacers needed between the spindle and tie-rod end. Also, if anyone could provide actual pics of the bolts referenced in step 2 on AM.com (http://www.americanmuscle.com/steeda...4-install.html), that would be very helpful as well. Thanks in advance!
Old 03-24-2010, 01:42 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

Not sure what else your looking for that is a very good write up on AM.
The amount of spacers is different on every car that is why you have to look at the diagrams on the set up and adjust accordingly.
And "step 2" in the link is talking about the Lug nuts. DO you really not know what those are?
Old 03-24-2010, 01:47 PM
mstang2k6
1st Gear Member

I'm mainly looking to see if anyone has any other detail/info not mentioned on the site that could help and additional pics of the install would really help. I prefer to read up and get AS MUCH DETAIL AS POSSIBLE on an install before attempting it (to avoid any road blocks).
Old 03-24-2010, 01:56 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

If you can dodge a wrench you can install a bump steer kit. It is very easy in other words. Just make sure you get an alignment after
Old 03-24-2010, 05:47 PM
mstang2k6
1st Gear Member

Anyone else have any thoughts or care to chime in?

Also, what is the name of that special tool that I'll need to rent from an auto store to get this job done; I think it's used to get the tie rod out of the spindle?
Old 03-24-2010, 07:13 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

Isn't it called a tie rod puller or something?
Old 03-24-2010, 07:19 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

Did you not even read the link that YOU posted? There is no special tool to rent. you undo the castle nut and if it does not fall out tap the top of it and it will pop out your not reusing that part so you can beat the ever living crap out of it if you wanted to.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:21 PM
mstang2k6
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by BraMas
Did you not even read the link that YOU posted? There is no special tool to rent. you undo the castle nut and if it does not fall out tap the top of it and it will pop out your not reusing that part so you can beat the ever living crap out of it if you wanted to.
I read the link i posted, however, I've read up on other posts describing the installation which state that there's a tool that makes the process a lot simpler and saves you a load of time. Hence the reason I asked for other people to chime w/details not mentioned in the link that i posted.
Old 04-26-2010, 01:54 PM
mstang2k6
1st Gear Member

Old 04-26-2010, 02:16 PM
K Z
2nd Gear Member

The tool is a big hammer. I did this a few weeks ago with no problems. I used the instructions from Steeda. I think I had the spacers just like they showed but it depends on how low your car is. I put the Steeda ball joints on at hte same time and they gave me more problems than the bump steer, but only cause I had to get the ball joint press, then it was easy.

Quick Reply: Installing Steeda Bumpsteer Kit