4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Ebay electric water pump

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 02:45 PM
dr.apex
2nd Gear Member

Default Ebay electric water pump

I'm shopping around for an electric water pump for my 98 and was hoping I could get your thoughts one.
I found this one on ebay. How would it compare to higher dollar pumps? Will I have any fitment issues?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-...item3cab72688b
Old 03-25-2010, 02:50 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

That water pump is for Pushrod V8's. Dont you still have a 4.6 in your 98?
Old 03-25-2010, 02:53 PM
dr.apex
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BraMas
That water pump is for Pushrod V8's. Dont you still have a 4.6 in your 98?
yep, that's why I asked. I wasn't sure if it was the right one. When looking for a pump, do I need to make sure it says, "modular motors"?

I looked at the Meizer pumps, but they're like 4-6 hundred bucks. I'm hoping I can find something a lil cheaper.
Old 03-25-2010, 05:10 PM
Frostbitten
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by dr.apex
yep, that's why I asked. I wasn't sure if it was the right one. When looking for a pump, do I need to make sure it says, "modular motors"?

I looked at the Meizer pumps, but they're like 4-6 hundred bucks. I'm hoping I can find something a lil cheaper.
na theyre expensive but they have to be reliable. edelbrock makes a nice mechanical pump for the 4.6
Old 03-25-2010, 06:01 PM
Moonshine
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Frostbitten
na theyre expensive but they have to be reliable. edelbrock makes a nice mechanical pump for the 4.6
He's shopping for an E-pump. Are you saying E-pumps are unreliable? Or did you misunderstand?
Old 03-25-2010, 06:41 PM
Frostbitten
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Moonshine
He's shopping for an E-pump. Are you saying E-pumps are unreliable? Or did you misunderstand?
im sayin theyre expensive but reliable. hes lookin for a cheap electric pump. might save $100 now but cost you down the road when it fails
Old 03-25-2010, 07:09 PM
dr.apex
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Frostbitten
na, the mechanical pump defeats the purpose. I want an e pump to free up hp and save weight. If I gotta flip the coin, I gotta flip the coin. I was just hoping there is a cheaper alternative.
I am a firm believer in, " you get what you pay for", but I also know that the most expensive doesn't nessesarily mean better.
Old 03-25-2010, 07:32 PM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

used UDP's for 150$ or so, will do the same thing cheaper and more reliably
Old 03-25-2010, 08:45 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

This link shows the results of running a built small block Chevy on an engine dyno with the overdrive pulleys (ODPs), UDPs, and an electric water pump.

Subtracting the ODP pulley HP from the electric pump numbers show that the water pump required 3 to 7HP between 3000 and 5800 RPM¹. This is of course the maximum gain to be realised. It's too bad they did not test the OEM pulleys.

The gain from the electric pump vs. the UDPs was only 1 to 4HP.

The +15HP claim may be true on some big block with a massive pump, but don't expect to see it on our engines...

----------------------------------------------
¹ - The chart on the website shows an 10HP difference at 6000 RPM, however the numbers (from 394HP to 406HP) indicate a 12HP change. I suspect there may be some number rounding issues involved.

Also, the HP requirement jump from 5.8k to 6.0k is too steep to be explained by a relatively small 200 RPM difference.
Old 03-25-2010, 10:31 PM
dr.apex
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MU71L4710N
used UDP's for 150$ or so, will do the same thing cheaper and more reliably
I already have steeda UDP's. Just haven't installed them yet.
Originally Posted by cliffyk
This link shows the results of running a built small block Chevy on an engine dyno with the overdrive pulleys (ODPs), UDPs, and an electric water pump.

Subtracting the ODP pulley HP from the electric pump numbers show that the water pump required 3 to 7HP between 3000 and 5800 RPM¹. This is of course the maximum gain to be realised. It's too bad they did not test the OEM pulleys.

The gain from the electric pump vs. the UDPs was only 1 to 4HP.

The +15HP claim may be true on some big block with a massive pump, but don't expect to see it on our engines...

----------------------------------------------
¹ - The chart on the website shows an 10HP difference at 6000 RPM, however the numbers (from 394HP to 406HP) indicate a 12HP change. I suspect there may be some number rounding issues involved.

Also, the HP requirement jump from 5.8k to 6.0k is too steep to be explained by a relatively small 200 RPM difference.
I gotta admit, you confused the hell out of me here. If I'm getting you correctly, you are saying that if I have UDP's the e-waterpump is really only gonna free up a couple horses, correct?

Quick Reply: Ebay electric water pump