4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Stronger Tensioner for a 96 GT

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 08:42 PM
FLMustangMan
2nd Gear Member

Default Stronger Tensioner for a 96 GT

I need a new stronger, more heavy duty tensioner. My belt flips over the pulley lip when under load and I let off completley. Its a manual. So I've been researching all kinds of articles (for those who want to say use the search) and heard of three. Thumprr, Steeda and Roush. The problem is none of them say where to buy one for a 96 Mustang GT. Has anyone else bought one for their 96-98 GT? Thanks
Old 03-28-2010, 09:34 PM
FLMustangMan
2nd Gear Member

I've also heard of some people just welding a piece of steel to the back of a stock on. ????
Old 03-29-2010, 04:39 AM
Chris98Gt
3rd Gear Member

I had the same issue with the belt flapping around and coming off the powersteering pulley. I just put another idler pulley on one of the bolt holes on the font cover with enough spacers to make it fit and keep more tension across that long section between the alternator and the p/s pulley. I've had no more issues, I can let out at 6k and not worry about the belt coming off and shredding anymore.
Old 03-29-2010, 01:55 PM
FLMustangMan
2nd Gear Member

Really? Thas something I had thought about doing awhile ago. Where did you get the Idle pulley and the bolts to put it in. I'm sure the pulley t like AutoZone, etc... but where the bolt. Oh and also, what size is your belt your running? Mine is longer than Procharger says it i supposed to be. The Shortest one I could fit was a 113K6. Stock is like 098K6. But its hard to get on. I have to extend the tensioner all the way to get it on. It doesn't sqeal and i've never had noises or problems but I know thats too tight. Does anyone know if a 114k6 will be too loose?
Old 03-29-2010, 04:51 PM
Chris98Gt
3rd Gear Member

I think mines a 115. When I bought my kit used it had the pi stuff, when I ordered the npi bracket it came with new hardware and another idler so I used the old pi idler for the second idler to keep it from coming off. I just used a random bolt that I found around the shop that would fit and did the same for spacers.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:46 PM
FLMustangMan
2nd Gear Member

ok. Mabe I'll try a 115 and see what it does for me. I figured thats what you were gonna say about the bolt just laying around. I'll find one and get an idler pulley from autozone, etc. and see if that helps. I think i'm also gonna buy a new stock tensioner and weld a thick piece of steel to the back just to make it stronger. I've heard of a few people doing this before since our cars don't have stronger tensioners yet.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:27 PM
Stevecooper
3rd Gear Member

Ford make a steel one. its a replacement for 96-98 Cobras whose owners were having problems even at the stock power level. I got mine at Ford for around $100. Its steel and painted black.
Old 03-31-2010, 11:14 PM
FLMustangMan
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Chris98Gt
I had the same issue with the belt flapping around and coming off the powersteering pulley. I just put another idler pulley on one of the bolt holes on the font cover with enough spacers to make it fit and keep more tension across that long section between the alternator and the p/s pulley. I've had no more issues, I can let out at 6k and not worry about the belt coming off and shredding anymore.
Do you happen to have any pics so I can see what it looks like. I looked at the only open cover bolt and measured it and its reall close to the water pump pulley ussing a 76mm pulley. Again if you got some pics I really interested to see how close they are from touching.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:40 PM
FLMustangMan
2nd Gear Member

Chirs98gt, do you have ant pics of your added tensioner?
Old 04-03-2010, 06:42 AM
Chris98Gt
3rd Gear Member

I can get one. It's not a big pulley its a small one like the procharger idler the mounts on the alternator stud.

Quick Reply: Stronger Tensioner for a 96 GT