4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Brief sqealing sounds when starting to accelerate

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 10:14 PM
ValeTudo
1st Gear Member

Is anyone who has experienced the "french horn" sound able to confirm whether this is the same or not? It would be very helpful to rule that out if that's the case. I will update after I have it looked at.
Old 04-16-2010, 06:08 PM
ValeTudo
1st Gear Member

I had the car looked at again today and the mechanic was able to hear the noise.
They couldn't figure out what it was, and visually could find no problems. He said
that it doesn't seem to be an issue, so I might have to let it take it's course. He also
mentioned that it could be the pilot or throwout bearing, but that it didn't fit the normal
description of that sound. Driveability hasn't changed over the last few thousand miles.

I also had a local friend look at it and he mentioned that it could be something with the e-brake binding, as he felt that it was coming from the back of the car. The mechanic said that this was unlikely, though. I still can't figure out exactly where on the car the noise is coming from. Originally I thought it was the front.

So basically, I think that it is either the "french horn" sound, or the beginnings of a drivetrain issue. If anyone can compare the sound in the vid to the "french horn" and let me know if it's similar, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.
Old 04-16-2010, 06:32 PM
-ToXiC-
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by asiansensation78
That doesn't sound like the brakes... more like the drive shaft rubbing against something
Thats what I thought as well.. There is a bushing that goes from the drive shaft into the rear differential.. It could be worn out enough to let the shaft joint settle againt the housing while left still.. Just a shot in the dark tho. It should be easy to tell if thats the case by looking at where they connect.
Old 04-16-2010, 07:48 PM
ValeTudo
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by -ToXiC-
Thats what I thought as well.. There is a bushing that goes from the drive shaft into the rear differential.. It could be worn out enough to let the shaft joint settle againt the housing while left still.. Just a shot in the dark tho. It should be easy to tell if thats the case by looking at where they connect.
I'll have to look into that as well. The mechanic basically said that he didn't want to take a ton of my money just to try and figure out what it was by a process of elimination. I know that they put the car up on a lift so I would assume they would have caught it if that bushing was bad. Maybe I'll get a second opinion. I have a feeling that the issue isn't major since it drives just fine, but it's really pissing me off not being able to figure out what it is.
Old 04-16-2010, 08:05 PM
-ToXiC-
1st Gear Member

I would put the axle on jackstands, chock the front wheels, and lay under the car then let a buddy put it in gear the tap the gas. Its free and im sure you will know where the sound comes from then.
Old 04-16-2010, 08:08 PM
ValeTudo
1st Gear Member

I would put the axle on jackstands, chock the front wheels, and lay under the car then let a buddy put it in gear the tap the gas. Its free and im sure you will know where the sound comes from then.
Yeah, I've been meaning to do that. It is so random when it happens but it's worth a shot.
Old 04-16-2010, 08:20 PM
-ToXiC-
1st Gear Member

Just make sure you have one hand on the axle to feel for vibrations.. could be a bearing.
Old 04-16-2010, 08:38 PM
ValeTudo
1st Gear Member

Just make sure you have one hand on the axle to feel for vibrations.. could be a bearing.
This might be a dumb question, but it is safe to put the axle on jackstands?
I'm new to this and have never jacked a car up on anything than the recommended jacking points.
Old 04-16-2010, 08:41 PM
fisher2985
2nd Gear Member

hard to tell from that clip, but mod motor pcv valves wil make a high pitched and very fast rattle. it'll almost sound like a squeal. pull the pcv valve out with it running and see if its noisy and vibrating. it will also make that noise for a few seconds after u shut it off.
Old 04-16-2010, 11:30 PM
-ToXiC-
1st Gear Member

yes, its safe to put the axle on stands. put the stands right next to the spring mounts and ur good to go.

Quick Reply: Brief sqealing sounds when starting to accelerate