4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

AM SCT Tunes?

Old 04-06-2010, 08:30 AM
saveme20
1st Gear Member

Default AM SCT Tunes?

So i just got in my SCT SF3 tuner from AM with the custom tune from bama. Was anyone else expecting more gain? when I read the comments they said deff tell a difference and I went to the track and ran the same times before I got the tuner and x pipe. I just can't really tell any difference besides spend more on gas having a 93 tune. what do yall think?
Old 04-06-2010, 08:43 AM
ChalknCover
Sgt. Killjoy

What was the tune supposed to include, just a o/r x and a 93 tune? You may not see much there.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:51 AM
saveme20
1st Gear Member

22lb injectors/cai/catback/x pipe and 93 tune i wasnt expect like a whole lot but they said STOCK 15hp gain
Old 04-06-2010, 09:17 AM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

that's the beauty of a email tune... you were better off buying an Xcal and having it dyno tuned. best tune you can get it physically giving the car over to the tuner. email tunes are very general and not every car will react the same way. im assuming they write tunes that will show gains over a span of selected/tested cars. some may gain more than others, but they can still advertise that you will gain something, in this case that something was not enough to your liking/noticing.
Old 04-06-2010, 03:42 PM
ddmsgtr1
4th Gear Member

I highly doubt anyone has ever recorded a 15hp gain at the wheels from a tuner or a stock car. All of those figures that manufacturers put out there are pretty bogus for bolt-on parts. I just got a bama tune from them and a PP plenum/tb, there's a difference, but it's only a slight difference. I would say the biggest difference is the idle quality seems better. I really need to get to the track to see what it really did. Most people aren't going to 'feel' the amount of gain from a single part.
Old 04-06-2010, 04:41 PM
ChalknCover
Sgt. Killjoy

The other thing too is that your mods, no offense, are kinda all over the place.
1. CAI's on these cars are really for looks only, no real gain to be had stock.
2. The xpipe/catback is a pretty good combo, that is where you are feeling it the most.
3. Why injectors? No mod you have requires more fuel. You won't see anything there.
4. I never noticed anything different with the 93 tune either.
5. Get gears and then get it tuned for that, you will thank me later.
6. Next after the gears, look into SFC's.
7. You can also do a 70mm TB and upper plenum to complete that up to the intake.
Old 04-06-2010, 05:41 PM
5pointslow91
4th Gear Member

bolt ons are pissing your money away, forge internals and shoot a big shot of No2
Old 04-06-2010, 08:39 PM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BlueBloodedPony
The other thing too is that your mods, no offense, are kinda all over the place.
1. CAI's on these cars are really for looks only, no real gain to be had stock.
2. The xpipe/catback is a pretty good combo, that is where you are feeling it the most.
3. Why injectors? No mod you have requires more fuel. You won't see anything there.
4. I never noticed anything different with the 93 tune either.
5. Get gears and then get it tuned for that, you will thank me later.
6. Next after the gears, look into SFC's.
7. You can also do a 70mm TB and upper plenum to complete that up to the intake.
WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER

yea, the exhaust is a good call, but injectors are useless unless your going FI. i agree with the above. you dont see/feel much bc you dont have enough mods to merit a HUGE gain and the fact that it is a mail order tune.
Old 04-07-2010, 06:05 AM
saveme20
1st Gear Member

well the injectors were done by the guy who had it before I have no idea why he put those in there I asked him myself. But anyways alright I was just wonder cause the nums people said they were getting and what i felt were 2 completely diff things lol

p.s. and yes next thing I am doing is 3;73 gears then holding off till I get a vortech
Old 04-07-2010, 06:46 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by saveme20
well the injectors were done by the guy who had it before I have no idea why he put those in there I asked him myself. But anyways alright I was just wonder cause the nums people said they were getting and what i felt were 2 completely diff things lol

p.s. and yes next thing I am doing is 3;73 gears then holding off till I get a vortech
Do you have wideband O2 system? If not you need to get one.

Your mods list says 24lb/h injectors however in a port above you mentioned 22lb/h injectors, as though that's what you told the tuner?

Was that a typo?

If they tuned it for 22lb/h injectors, and you have 24lb/h injectors, it will run quite rich at WOT and the fuel trims will be off in closed loop.

Another issue is as others have stated: "mail-order", non-hands on, tunes will be conservative--only a fool would send you an aggressive tune for a car they've never even heard run.

To overcome this you can pay a professional for a hands-on tune ("dyno" or not; a dynamometer is not a magical device, just a convenient tool for measuring the impact of changes made)--or buy a tuner/tuning system, a few books, and learn to do it yourself.

There is no rocket science involved, and even the most accomplished pro out there didn't know squat about tuning at one point in time.

In the last, it is quite possible with a hands-on optimised "premium fuel" tune to get gains of 15HP or more out of a dead stock new-edge GT. The OEM tune is very conservative, and tends to be 0.5 to 1.0 "AFR" rich at WOT--dialing in the AFR by itself will wake these things up, bump the timing and there are respectable gains to be had...