Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.
Sponsored by Cruizin Concepts

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 04-06-2010, 07:15 PM   #1
2000STANGMAN

Question 2000 mustang wheel bearing replacement question

Hi guys I'm new here, I just picked up a 2000 mustang gt, 4.6 5 speed manual. I was going threw it on the lift and found a bad passenger side front wheel bearing that was bad. Now I know there's the spindle nut to loosen, besides pulling off all the brakes and stuff, is that just it and it slides off? Or is it pressed on? My buddies at Carquest said its pressed into the control arm hub. I thought you just have to loosen the nut up and it slides off?

Can someone tell me the torque specs on the wheel bearing hub nut please?
thanks
Craig
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
2000STANGMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 07:30 PM   #2
coolbreezex82x

Vehicle: 99 Ford Mustang GT

Hey man. it's easy fix. just take all the break crap off. there is just 1 big fat nut that comes off, (bust the nut lol ) then you can wiggle the bearing off the spindle. They say you need a new nut but i just re-used mine! been 2 years sinse and no problems. That nut is on there HARD. so make sure you rent a big *** breaker bar and torq it back on to spec. the new bearings come pre-lubed so you wont need to lube it. You dont need to lub the spindle, but you can if you have problems wiggleing the new bearing back on. Good luck! if you do one side mind as well do the other as well. oh yeah can't remember the socket size but it's huge.
coolbreezex82x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 07:37 PM   #3
coolbreezex82x

Vehicle: 99 Ford Mustang GT

oh yeah, torq nut to 221 to 295 <--- strongly suggest breaker bar to take off! Also did one extra umph with breaker bar when tightening.
coolbreezex82x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 07:39 PM   #4
2000STANGMAN

Sweet thanks bro, I just figured so. But wanted to make sure.
peace
craig
2000STANGMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 08:13 PM   #5
K Z
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2002 MUSTANG GT

Looks like it has already answered but 221-295. I bought a torque wrench that goes up to 250 and set it there and cranked the nut down just a bit more after the wrench stopped. You will need 2 unhook the black ABS sensor if your car has it.
K Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 08:13 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
1996, 2000, 2004, bad, bearing, gt, hub, mustang, noise, rear, replace, replacement, specs, torque, wheel