4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Brown Sludge in Coolant Reservoir?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 05:41 PM
TripleBlackGT

Post Brown Sludge in Coolant Reservoir?

There is some brown colored sludge in my coolant reservoir anybody have any ideas of what this might be? I read somewhere that it could be oil mixing with the coolant in turn being a blown head gasket, any ideas on what I could to to help this would be appreciated.
Old 04-19-2010, 06:43 PM
DRAGUL
5th Gear Member

When was the last time your cooling system was flushed out? Depending on the coolant this should be done every couple of years. I would flush the system real well and clean out the coolant reservoir. Dish soap works pretty well for getting out the buildup in reservoir. Keep an eye on it afterwards.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:12 PM
SnakeConvert98
1st Gear Member

Had the coolant flushed lately? It will turn brown if very old, or had stopleak added.(certain types) If it was oil it will float to the top when first introduced, after it's been in there for a while it will foam or froth up sort of like a nasty milkshake.(been there,done that)

This may sound crazy,but, it works,, (1) Pull the dipstick,(2) slap someone with it while saying, now that's thinkin with your dipstick jimmy,(3) put a blow gun/air hose in the dipstick tube(make sure it is sealed, blow gun with a rubber end works best) (4) put a little pressure on it and watch for bubbles in the coolant tank with the cap off, (5) # 2 is optional !! Not a 100% way of checking, but,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I know, go ahead and say it, STFU!!
Old 04-19-2010, 07:26 PM
K Z
2nd Gear Member

No, I think #2 is a must, but flushing the coolant is the best place 2 start. If the "sludge" is REALLY bad u may need 2 flush it twice. Just buy a bottle of flush at any auto parts store and follow the directions.
Old 04-20-2010, 12:32 AM
5pointslow91
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by K Z
No, I think #2 is a must, but flushing the coolant is the best place 2 start. If the "sludge" is REALLY bad u may need 2 flush it twice. Just buy a bottle of flush at any auto parts store and follow the directions.
what about Stooges Auto Repair shop?
Old 04-20-2010, 05:03 AM
johnmvtv
2nd Gear Member

i have the same problem.My mechanic tells me its the oil cooler.My car has had this prob for about a year,check your oil,see if its low,just a shot in the dark...
Old 04-20-2010, 08:48 AM
K Z
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 5pointslow91
what about Stooges Auto Repair shop?
Lol. Do they sell radiator flush? How about this go get some radiator flush at like autozone, napa, or even walmart. Flush the coolant, then keep ur eye on it 2 c if it comes back or not.
Old 04-20-2010, 11:12 AM
-ToXiC-
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by SnakeConvert98
(2) slap someone with it while saying, now that's thinkin with your dipstick jimmy
lol, thats a funny commercial.
Old 04-20-2010, 12:40 PM
v braaten
1st Gear Member

Old coolant won't turn brown unless it's like, 10 years old. Brown, foamy, chocolate milk-like usually means a blown head gasket or a cracked block. Check cylinder compression.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:25 PM
SnakeConvert98
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by v braaten
Old coolant won't turn brown unless it's like, 10 years old. Brown, foamy, chocolate milk-like usually means a blown head gasket or a cracked block. Check cylinder compression.

Car i believe is THREETEEN (yes i did it on purpose) years old! Lots of people don't flush till something goes wrong, 13 years down the road be that as it may!!!! SORRY GOD forgive me!!

Quick Reply: Brown Sludge in Coolant Reservoir?