4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Really Loud Ticking Fuel Injectors

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 09:01 PM
FLMustangMan
2nd Gear Member

Default Really Loud Ticking Fuel Injectors

Might be long explanation but hopeing to make it easier to solve problem by giving all details so you wont have to ask for any.

I installed a p.i. intake on my n.p.i block close to a year ago. I had a pin hole leak in the gasket sealant so it made a small sucking sound and then would whistle the air out when i shut the car off. I finally got around to taking it off and redoing the seal which is now fixed. When i pulled the intake off i didnt pull the t.b., plenum, fuel rails or injectors off. I was able to get it all out together. I did start to take off the fuel rail though. I undid the front bolt on the driver side and loosened the rear driver bolt. when I did, i accidently bumped the rail off the top of the injectors so i cleaned up the small leftover fuel and pushed the rail back on and then bolted it back down. when i finally got to restarting the car i forgot to turn the key on(not the engine) a couple times to get the fuel back up to the rails. So it started and died right away. Second time took a couple seconds then started fine. But I noticed a kinda loud annoying ticking/tapping noise on the driver side. I got a auto stethescope out and put it everywhere. It pretty much sounded like the fuel injectors. I have researched and heard they can get loud but i have never heard this noise before. Could it be a bad injector or clogged injector? How do you tell if the injectors are clogged? I have also heard the it could be lash adjusters? I know a good amount about cars but not everything so correct me if im wrong but they have to do with the slack in the timming chain right? Any opinions what this noise could be. Ill go out and make a video to help with diognosing. And see if its still doing it. thanks
Old 04-20-2010, 09:06 PM
FLMustangMan
2nd Gear Member

another side note. Before i fixed the intake leak, i always thought i heard a faint but noticable ticking type noise. it would icrease with rpms. at first i was freaked out cause i did think it was timing chain related but then thought it sounded more like an exhaust leak at my lt headers. hope this helps.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:14 PM
FLMustangMan
2nd Gear Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzyQ5FUahz4
Old 04-20-2010, 10:44 PM
SnakeConvert98
1st Gear Member

Sounds like a normal injector tick to me!
Old 04-20-2010, 11:36 PM
FLMustangMan
2nd Gear Member

well like i said its been awhile that i had the intake gasket leak so i never noticed it before. i know you can hear the injectors but the just sound louder than normal thats all. and i had read somewhere about lash adjusters making the same noise. so if anyone else has input thanks. and thanks snake.