4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

96 GT help/question

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 05:59 PM
Mr. Bill
1st Gear Member

Default 96 GT help/question

My 17 yr old son has found a 96 GT 5-spd with 148k miles at one of the local buy-here, pay-here lots. He has ridden in it and says it rides great, sounds great but the appearance is showing it's age. They want $3750 for it. I think that is too high for it in it's current condition.

Question is, what do 96 GT's usually go for these days? I looked online and get all sorts of price ranges posted. I plan on going by there myself in the morning to check it out personally and would like to hagle with them over the price as long as I know what it really should be worth.

Much appreciated in advance for any input.
Old 04-23-2010, 06:20 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

$3750 is absurd, I would not pay any more than $1000 for such a vehicle--which is what KBB says the trade-in value is.

The reason it's at one of the buy-here/pay-here places is because they got it for next to nothing at auction--all they need to be whole is the down payment and maybe one or two monthly payments.

If the payments stop and they cannot repossess it it won't be the end of the world, and if they can repo it they get to "sell" it again. Because of this it is unlikely they will have much "wiggle" room--they would much rather sell it (maybe more than once) to someone with no money or credit...
Old 04-24-2010, 03:32 PM
noroofonthecoupe
Gimme a cupcake & a pat on the head

Well I can tell you, that you're not going to get a car like that for $1000 or anywhere near that. You need a dealers license to get into an auction where you can get it around that price. That's a lot of miles but considering it's at a dealer I'd say around $3,000 is fair, personally I'd give em $2500 or less. Couple Questions; any mods at all? Does everything work? 5 speed or auto? How are the tires? And finally Carfax? Also search craigslist, you can find a convertible GT for that price with less miles probably and since its a private seller he'd be more willing to negotiate. But yeah you have to consider its at a dealer so yeah around $3000 they wont go below that for sure, maybe $3200? If your sons pressed on that car, but I'd say wait it out and get one from craigslist. That's too many miles.
Old 04-24-2010, 04:54 PM
Mr. Bill
1st Gear Member

Well we drove out today so I could look at it and the guy sold it yesterday. So we will keep our eyes open for another one.

Thanks for everyone's input though.
Old 04-24-2010, 09:09 PM
SnakeConvert98
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mr. Bill
Well we drove out today so I could look at it and the guy sold it yesterday. So we will keep our eyes open for another one.

Thanks for everyone's input though.

What part of tenn are you in? I know of a few in the Paducah KY area !
Old 04-24-2010, 09:18 PM
Mr. Bill
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by SnakeConvert98
What part of tenn are you in? I know of a few in the Paducah KY area !
East TN....knoxville area