4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

help figuring out the 4.6L motor

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 07:07 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Not to take on Merriam-Webster, however in classic engineering jargon a motor is a prime mover that converts directly applied energy to motion--I.e. an electric motor, hydraulic motor, pneumatic motor, etc.

An engine is a prime mover that has fuel delivered to it and creates energy and motion by "doing something" with (typically oxidizing) that fuel.

There are many exceptions to this in real-life--such as outboard motors, and rocket motor/engines. In the latter field solid fuel rockets are oftened referred to as motors, and liquid fueled as engines; though technically they both make energy from a fuel source.

To further confuse things, consider the steam engine, which creates motion from a supplied energy source--but try saying "steam motor" and see what sort of looks you get...
Old 05-03-2010, 09:01 PM
0949er
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
Not to take on Merriam-Webster, however in classic engineering jargon a motor is a prime mover that converts directly applied energy to motion--I.e. an electric motor, hydraulic motor, pneumatic motor, etc.

An engine is a prime mover that has fuel delivered to it and creates energy and motion by "doing something" with (typically oxidizing) that fuel.

There are many exceptions to this in real-life--such as outboard motors, and rocket motor/engines. In the latter field solid fuel rockets are oftened referred to as motors, and liquid fueled as engines; though technically they both make energy from a fuel source.

To further confuse things, consider the steam engine, which creates motion from a supplied energy source--but try saying "steam motor" and see what sort of looks you get...
That's why I stick with "choo choo train" lol /jk

so where does that leave "search engine"?
Old 05-03-2010, 09:04 PM
fordforlife0225
4th Gear Member

i agree with it being an engine, we just learned that this week to and i dont know why i put motor. a motor is anything electric or that produces electricity. i should have said 4.6L engine. anyway pretty sure the tires on my car are factory tires. time for some new ones

bfg gforce, goodyear eagles, nitto 555's????????????
Old 05-03-2010, 09:59 PM
SnakeConvert98
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 0949er
That's why I stick with "choo choo train" lol /jk

so where does that leave "search engine"?

Most cargo trains are powered by a Diesel engines which power electric motors which drive the wheels!!

search engine is about like SOHC,, NOT actually what it seems!!!!!
Old 05-03-2010, 10:30 PM
SnakeConvert98
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 0949er
I dunno I disagree. SOHC explains the head itself, not the amount of cams in the entire engine. I mean it has "over head cam" in the name, it isn't plural. SOHC and DOHC both accurately describe how he head is set up, leaving no confusion, as to having DOHC(1) and DOHC(2) which actually is much more confusing (since it is describing ONE head, and not the entire motor)

OOOOHHHHH IC,,,when ford describs it's engines as being sohc ENGINES i never realized they were just talking about half the engine,,i always thought they ment the whole thing,,glad you cleard that up!!

OPs guestion # 2,,READ it,,does it not sound like he is confused? (sorry OP) He isn't the only one that has asked that question over the years,,sure am glad it isn't confusing,,,,,,,,,,

So what is a four cylinder with a over head cam?? HSOHC=half singal over head cam engine????????????? just wondering!
Old 05-03-2010, 10:53 PM
0949er
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SnakeConvert98
OOOOHHHHH IC,,,when ford describs it's engines as being sohc ENGINES i never realized they were just talking about half the engine,,i always thought they ment the whole thing,,glad you cleard that up!!

OPs guestion # 2,,READ it,,does it not sound like he is confused? (sorry OP) He isn't the only one that has asked that question over the years,,sure am glad it isn't confusing,,,,,,,,,,

So what is a four cylinder with a over head cam?? HSOHC=half singal over head cam engine????????????? just wondering!
i believe those are called v-tech haha
Old 05-03-2010, 11:31 PM
Moonshine
5th Gear Member

How many heads does an inline four cylinder have?? o.O

VTAK VRooooOOOOOMMM(screech)VRooooooOOOOOOMM(grind)VRoo ooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMM

Oh yea hit that hazard switch because I sped by you real fast and I call that winning.

Old 05-04-2010, 04:50 AM
a_penquin
4th Gear Member

Vtech is like a fat bitch, it looks like a good idea at first but then your friends catch you doing it...
Old 05-04-2010, 06:07 AM
fordforlife0225
4th Gear Member

^ quoted
Old 05-04-2010, 04:40 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by SnakeConvert98
Most cargo trains are powered by a Diesel engines which power electric motors which drive the wheels!!<snip>
Whipper-snapper

When I was a kid they ran on steam, and could not run efficiently in reverse, we used to go down to the round-house and watch 'em get turned around...

Quick Reply: help figuring out the 4.6L motor