4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

A/C won't work. throws off idle

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 06:22 PM
cjhstang

Default A/C won't work. throws off idle

After a few years of no A/C its bout time to fix it. Problem was when I'd kick on the defrosters it would through off the idle. If i remember right the A/C wouldn't work once summer came around either. Idle was off and no cold air. The summer prior it blew ice cold. We unplugged the lead going to the A/C compressor so i didn't have problems when the defrost was one.

Anybody else have this prob? Bad solenoid to the compressor maybe?
Old 05-04-2010, 09:12 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

You do understand that when you turn on the Defroster it uses the A/C don't you?
That is why your idle would fluctuate because the compressor was kicking on and off which is normal for every car that has the defroster on
I just noticed your sig. when you say "Strait piped side exhaust" does that mean you don't have an X,H or prochamber mid pipe?

Last edited by BraMas; 05-04-2010 at 09:14 PM.
Old 05-04-2010, 09:43 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

It could very well be a hardware issue, but my first guess is always low refrigerant charge (leak somewhere). If the compressor clutch locks on and spins for a few seconds and then shuts off repeatedly when you have the a/c or defroster on, then that's most likely the problem. Hope it's not a leak, those can be a real m.f. to hunt down.
Old 05-05-2010, 12:18 PM
Jay-rod427
3rd Gear Member

Low freon as stated above will make it not function properly. Go to the local parts store and get an A/C pressure guage and if need be add freon to the system.

I just did this to mine a few weeks ago and has been working fine ever since, even if you have a slow leak just add freon every once in a while and avoid the cost of an expensive repair.
Old 05-05-2010, 04:18 PM
cjhstang

Originally Posted by BraMas
You do understand that when you turn on the Defroster it uses the A/C don't you?
That is why your idle would fluctuate because the compressor was kicking on and off which is normal for every car that has the defroster on
I just noticed your sig. when you say "Strait piped side exhaust" does that mean you don't have an X,H or prochamber mid pipe?
Yes I know def uses a/c, thats why i figured it was an a/c problem in the first place...

when i say strait piped, i mean no mufflers. factory H to 90 degree bends to dual ford racing tips.

Ok, thanks guys, was kinda afraid it might be a leak. My dad had mentioned somethin abuot a module that did similar things to his '97 taurus...

any common spots for leaks in these a/c systems? guess i'll be gettin the soapy water out.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:03 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

First place I'd check is the condenser coil, only because it's mounted on the front of the car and catches a lot of bugs and debris. The way shops do it is they pressurize the system with a dye that can be seen under infrared light and look for it that way. The way you're suggesting, with the soapy water (you might try just straight dishsoap in a spray bottle, it will cling a little better instead of just running off) might work, depending on the location of the leak. When I used to do commercial refrigeration what we would do if a leak was suspected in a coil is we would disconnect the coil from the system, pressurize it with nitrogen and then submerge it in a tank of water (probably not gonna work in this situation but thought it worth a mention anyway). Also spray the dishsoap on all of the fittings you can find under the hood, like the ones near the compressor (like the lines that have flare nuts that could be disconnected with a wrench) and Shraeder valves, as those can be common spots for leaks to develop since they just have rubber seals sometimes which will deteriorate like any other rubber gasket/seal. Keep in mind that if you do disconnect anything which relieves whatever pressure is left from the system that you will need to hook a vacuum pump up to it upon reassembly prior to refilling it with refrigerant (any air/oxygen in the lines will react with the refrigerant and cause condensation to form in the system which is detrimental to the compressor and also causes internal corrosion). Sorry for the long drawn out response, but hope it helps shed a little light on the situation.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:06 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jay-rod427
Low freon as stated above will make it not function properly. Go to the local parts store and get an A/C pressure guage and if need be add freon to the system.

I just did this to mine a few weeks ago and has been working fine ever since, even if you have a slow leak just add freon every once in a while and avoid the cost of an expensive repair.
^^^ This is probably your easiest option, just know that it will not be a permanent fix.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:29 PM
cjhstang

Thanks! great info... hopefully will be playin with it this weekend.
Old 06-01-2010, 12:09 PM
cjhstang

still no go...
checked both switches, one closes to the passenger and the one closest to the fan. not sure what results i should get on the one by the fan but the other seemed to be working. At that point, assumed it was ccrm so i replaced that, still nothing.
I have filled it with freon. is it possible i still don't have enough freon in the car??
Old 06-01-2010, 01:48 PM
03BottleFedGT
3rd Gear Member

when i worked at ford the number one spot they would leak was the low side shrader valve.

Quick Reply: A/C won't work. throws off idle