4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Testing a COP with Oscilloscope

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 07:16 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Grab some heavy sewing needles/pins from a woman in your life, grease 'em up lightly and then stick them through the wires--connect to the scope probes to the pins.

You can "back-probe" the connectors if you have some skinny probe tips, however hanging on the probes and playing with the scope adjustments is a PITA...
Old 05-06-2010, 12:00 PM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

Hey cliff just wanted to let you know I probly wont get around to checking these COPS until after work today or tomorrow. Kinda really busy at work so I gotta take a short lunch(yay).

But a quick question.....I assume when you say the yellow/green ground wire and red wire you are referring to the wires that go into the COP clip?

I have a pretty fine point probe that I think I can easily just poke through to the red wire with. But seeing as the ground is a clip and not a probe, I will probably have to use a needle like you suggested? Push the needle into the wire, then clip the ground onto it?

I did find a nicer digital oscilloscope at work its a Tektronix TDS1012. At a quick glance I didnt see anything regarding a "HF filter" what should I look for regarding this? What will it say on/around the button/switch? Somebody here at work could probably explain it to me but I figured since i'm posting i'll ask. I assume "HF filter" means High Frequency Filter?
Old 05-06-2010, 12:30 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by Hangwire
Hey cliff just wanted to let you know I probly wont get around to checking these COPS until after work today or tomorrow. Kinda really busy at work so I gotta take a short lunch(yay).

But a quick question.....I assume when you say the yellow/green ground wire and red wire you are referring to the wires that go into the COP clip?
Yes, the red wire on all the COPs is connected to a fused +12V source.

The other wire (light green/yellow on COP #5) is not technically a ground, however it is switched to ground by the PCM during the "dwell" period to charge the coil--the same way that the points in a conventional ignition system would conenct the coild to ground when they closed.

The COP fires when that ground connection is opened and the built-up magnetic field in the core collapses.

I have a pretty fine point probe that I think I can easily just poke through to the red wire with. But seeing as the ground is a clip and not a probe, I will probably have to use a needle like you suggested? Push the needle into the wire, then clip the ground onto it?
Yup, that's all

I did find a nicer digital oscilloscope at work its a Tektronix TDS1012. At a quick glance I didnt see anything regarding a "HF filter" what should I look for regarding this? What will it say on/around the button/switch? Somebody here at work could probably explain it to me but I figured since i'm posting i'll ask. I assume "HF filter" means High Frequency Filter?
On a TDS1012 press the Trigger Menu button, then select Coupling using the menu buttons to the right of the display, and then HF Reject.
Old 05-06-2010, 08:29 PM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

Your the man, cliff.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:58 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Here's another trace of what you can expect to see:

This is also my '03 GT at idle, but captured with an OWON HDS-1022M-N hand held 'scope--a nice little instrument. It's rated at 20MHz but easily handles signals out to 27MHz-- I use it now for most automotive stuff...

While we are talking about oscilloscopes, and for those who might give a rat's backside, here's what the O2 sensor output looks like at idle (the glitches are ignition noise):

You can see that the signal "switches" slowly, at 250mHz to 300mHz, between 0.22V and 0.97V.

And this is the IAC control signal, also at idle:

The IAC is normally held closed by an internal spring, and is driven by this 2.1kHz signal to make it open. The duty cycle (the time at +12V vs. time at 0.0V) of the signal is varied to keep the valve "hovering" around the desired opening.

I had captured these for a small tuning course I have been trying to put together...

Last edited by cliffyk; 05-06-2010 at 11:00 PM.
Old 05-07-2010, 05:59 PM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

When an IAC fails it fails mechanically right? Would I see anything through an oscilloscope that would indicate a failing IAC? My intake is making the I'm really effing hungry so i'm gonna growl noise.

May be Monday till I get to throw a scope on my cops, boss wasnt crazy about me taking the 'scope home over the weekend. Sigh.