4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

altenator squeal

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 06:59 AM
v8.GT Stang
1st Gear Member

may be something else that is squealing like tensioner pulley .. i have this problem before
1st i thought it was the alternator then i found out it was the tensioner pulley ..

and change that belt any way ..
Old 05-18-2010, 02:28 PM
FAKnGT
1st Gear Member

I know that sound. Every time I hit a puddle/lake too fast when it's raining I'll get a squeal/loss of power for a sec and then it's back to normal. How are your fluids doing? That water pump is right under the alternator. Maybe it's leaking in an upward spray(somehow)? Worth a look at least. Now for the more probable...

Check your belt. Just replace the tension/idle pulley since they're probably due for a change anyway. I think they were $18 each at Autozone for the Duralast and are very easy to replace. If you don't have a 1/2" breaker bar, rent it at the same time. Only thing is when you want to do the tension pulley you will have to unmount the passenger side coil pack you also have to take the plate off that is blocking the square hole for the breaker bar too. You can do it without disconnecting anything else though. Just replace the belt and the pulleys. If that fixes the problem, take the alternator back and tell em it's messed up. "It's squealing, I have no idea what's going on with it." Could always take your other alternator to them and have them test it. If you are lucky they will give you an accurate reading, unless you get some of the Tards I have dealt with.

Good luck man.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:19 PM
96meangreengt
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by FAKnGT
I know that sound. Every time I hit a puddle/lake too fast when it's raining I'll get a squeal/loss of power for a sec and then it's back to normal. How are your fluids doing? That water pump is right under the alternator. Maybe it's leaking in an upward spray(somehow)? Worth a look at least. Now for the more probable...

Check your belt. Just replace the tension/idle pulley since they're probably due for a change anyway. I think they were $18 each at Autozone for the Duralast and are very easy to replace. If you don't have a 1/2" breaker bar, rent it at the same time. Only thing is when you want to do the tension pulley you will have to unmount the passenger side coil pack you also have to take the plate off that is blocking the square hole for the breaker bar too. You can do it without disconnecting anything else though. Just replace the belt and the pulleys. If that fixes the problem, take the alternator back and tell em it's messed up. "It's squealing, I have no idea what's going on with it." Could always take your other alternator to them and have them test it. If you are lucky they will give you an accurate reading, unless you get some of the Tards I have dealt with.

Good luck man.
Both pulleys are new. or the guy I bought it from said they were but I turned them with the belt off and they fill and sound fine. where do you get a gator back belt autozone said they are not even avaliabe. just thought thought it was weird that as soon as I put the new altenator on it quit for a day or two. the altenator pulley fills fine to. will have to wait to get a belt tomorrow I had to put a canister purge valve on it tonight ad replaced the vaccum line from the carcoal canister box, talk about a pain to get to.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:19 AM
01 P-51G t
1st Gear Member

[QUOTE=96meangreengt;7010473] where do you get a gator back belt autozone said they are not even avaliabe. QUOTE]
Here you go, enter zip & auto parts store.
http://www.goodyearep.com/locatorrp.aspx
Old 05-19-2010, 07:59 PM
96meangreengt
2nd Gear Member

[QUOTE=01 P-51G t;7011554]
Originally Posted by 96meangreengt
where do you get a gator back belt autozone said they are not even avaliabe. QUOTE]
Here you go, enter zip & auto parts store.
http://www.goodyearep.com/locatorrp.aspx
wow thanks. the nearest one is 70 miles away I will just order a motorcraft one from americanmuscle for $30.