4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

need help on diagnosing my 96 4.6

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 11:59 PM
96MustangNoob

Default need help on diagnosing my 96 4.6

I need help diagnosing my first mustang which is a 96' 4.6L 5 speed gt. Here are a list of the problems i ran into..

1. when i first got the car i started it up and it blew a lot of white smoke out of the passenger side tail pipe almost like someone put sea foam in it but it only came out on the passenger side tail pipe and it was a light colored white smoke. i have had the car for 3 weeks since then and the white smoke has decreased but has not gone away and its still only on the passenger side tail pipe. the smoke continues to come out even when on long rides. when my buddy was driving behind me he said that it smelled like it was running rich. he believes that it may be a fouled spark plug? also the engine has a rough idle. i checked the injectors like my dad showed me and unplugged each wire to each injector one at a time while the engine was running and they all reacted the same.

2. another problem i have come across is that i believe i am losing antifreeze somewhere. 3 days after i got the car, i realized that the low antifreeze dash light was on so i put 2 full jugs of antifreeze into what i believe is the resevoir and ran it for a while. since then i have had to put atleast 1 jug in it a week. from what i see there are no leaks except from a hose which is insisde the engine bay under the A/C compressor which drips onto the exhaust manifold. i dont know if this is related it may just be condensation build-up from the A/C.

3. i also have found that i have blow-by. i understand that it is caused by lack of changing the oil and is due by worn out piston rings. i have recently changed the oil and put in rislone compression repair with ring seal into my crank shaft but the blow-by has not digressed any. i had to pull out the tube that goes into the cold air intake because the blow-by was leaving a thick oil residue inside of the air intake. when i looked at my cold air intake filter it was filled with oil. i cleaned the air filter off and placed it back on. would this cause any further engine problems with the intake? are there any other ways to take care of the blow-by without replacing the piston rings?

4. the last of my issues with the car is that everytime i rev up the engine the rpms lack to decrease but they do decrease slowly.. what is this caused by?

ps. im sorry if its hard to understand what im trying to explain, but i really need a solution to my problems. i will try to do all the solutions and respond asap. if you have any further questions for me to help explain the issues that i am having feel free to ask and i will respond immediately. i just really need help.
Old 05-20-2010, 12:58 AM
JC316
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 96MustangNoob
I need help diagnosing my first mustang which is a 96' 4.6L 5 speed gt. Here are a list of the problems i ran into..

1. when i first got the car i started it up and it blew a lot of white smoke out of the passenger side tail pipe almost like someone put sea foam in it but it only came out on the passenger side tail pipe and it was a light colored white smoke. i have had the car for 3 weeks since then and the white smoke has decreased but has not gone away and its still only on the passenger side tail pipe. the smoke continues to come out even when on long rides. when my buddy was driving behind me he said that it smelled like it was running rich. he believes that it may be a fouled spark plug? also the engine has a rough idle. i checked the injectors like my dad showed me and unplugged each wire to each injector one at a time while the engine was running and they all reacted the same.

2. another problem i have come across is that i believe i am losing antifreeze somewhere. 3 days after i got the car, i realized that the low antifreeze dash light was on so i put 2 full jugs of antifreeze into what i believe is the resevoir and ran it for a while. since then i have had to put atleast 1 jug in it a week. from what i see there are no leaks except from a hose which is insisde the engine bay under the A/C compressor which drips onto the exhaust manifold. i dont know if this is related it may just be condensation build-up from the A/C.

3. i also have found that i have blow-by. i understand that it is caused by lack of changing the oil and is due by worn out piston rings. i have recently changed the oil and put in rislone compression repair with ring seal into my crank shaft but the blow-by has not digressed any. i had to pull out the tube that goes into the cold air intake because the blow-by was leaving a thick oil residue inside of the air intake. when i looked at my cold air intake filter it was filled with oil. i cleaned the air filter off and placed it back on. would this cause any further engine problems with the intake? are there any other ways to take care of the blow-by without replacing the piston rings?

4. the last of my issues with the car is that everytime i rev up the engine the rpms lack to decrease but they do decrease slowly.. what is this caused by?

ps. im sorry if its hard to understand what im trying to explain, but i really need a solution to my problems. i will try to do all the solutions and respond asap. if you have any further questions for me to help explain the issues that i am having feel free to ask and i will respond immediately. i just really need help.
You have a blown headgasket on the passenger side. The white smoke and loss of antifreeze tells me that it's blown. The blow by may be coming from the cylinder pressure getting into the oil system. The RPMS not wanting to drop is likely caused by the IAC valve. Most mustangs do it.
Old 05-20-2010, 03:30 AM
b96gtman
1st Gear Member

my friend i feel bad because u deffinitly have a blown head gasket on the side that is smoking out the pipes. coolant smoke is white, fuel is blue or black. and NEVER touch a plug wire around the coils or boots while running u r asking to shock the living hell out of yourself!! like the post above u have a headgasket problem and that is where your coolant is going and why its acting funky. could be an intake gasket but i strongly think head gasket. and also like above its most likely your idle air control valve that is causing yur rpms to fall slowly. if u get a new one buy it from Ford. i have bought them from the *** zone only to have them act up. take yur car in to have it diaged. u will most likely need hd gskt repair and maybe have yur heads decked and the block too maybe? but iron can take the heat. aluminum heads cannot. good luck. maybe do a pi swap while everythings out? thts what i did when my 96gt had the same damn problem. good used pi heads are a dime a dozen bro. u can get cheap and great ported heads at Modular Head Shop. Nick sells a pi swap kit for really cheap and he is an awesome head and cam guy and sells cheap too/.