4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

STILL missing third... HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 02:04 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 02ROLLER
yeah I dont have any grinds either nor does it pop out of any other gear so im thinking the same bout my synchros. Im just thinking with the clutch having to be on the floor board I MAY need a new clutch. and I guess since its still the factory clutch and has 130k on it I cant complain to much if that is the problem.

Hey man I would get that checked out if I were you. Last thing you want is to get stranded.. Its most def not your syncros tho because you would defientely notice it.
Old 05-21-2010, 02:49 PM
v braaten
1st Gear Member

When racing, your tranny heats up so much that it causes binding. Does your shifter handle get super hot?
Old 05-21-2010, 03:12 PM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

...define "super hot" because I have a shift boot on my MGW in my '04 that exposes the handle and on warmer days I can feel the aluminum handle get fairly warm and this is just normal driving.

But I associate that with just the heat from the tranny being conducted up the shifter as well as the added warmer ambient air.
Old 05-21-2010, 03:49 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Here's a post I made some time back with some info about short throw shifters that might be of some interest to those in this thread...
Old 05-21-2010, 07:22 PM
ct_white_stang
4th Gear Member

I have a Pro-50, never missed third once. There biggest claim is you will "never miss third again" patient pending design. The shifter basically finds third for you.
Old 05-22-2010, 12:05 AM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ct_white_stang
I have a Pro-50, never missed third once. There biggest claim is you will "never miss third again" patient pending design. The shifter basically finds third for you.

Not saying that it can't happen but man with the MGW it makes it real hard to miss third. It costs a little more but damn that thing feels so tight...

Last edited by Soldier GT; 05-22-2010 at 12:14 AM.
Old 05-22-2010, 08:50 AM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

I can contest to the OP's problem, went to the track last night and experianced this. I would launch at arounf 2K be shifting around 5-5500K into thrid and out of 5 runs...I "missed" thrid twice. I would shift into third and it was like I was hitting a brick wall with it. It would not slide into 3rd and then I just gave up the run.

I was thinking if maybe it was the fact I was winding out the rpm's too high and to shift sooner, but I couldn't get more runs in to experiment. My car has 44K mi and it's an o4 that I bought from an adult...so I don't think it's a bad synchro problem...
Old 05-22-2010, 11:47 AM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by smitty2919
I can contest to the OP's problem, went to the track last night and experianced this. I would launch at arounf 2K be shifting around 5-5500K into thrid and out of 5 runs...I "missed" thrid twice. I would shift into third and it was like I was hitting a brick wall with it. It would not slide into 3rd and then I just gave up the run.

I was thinking if maybe it was the fact I was winding out the rpm's too high and to shift sooner, but I couldn't get more runs in to experiment. My car has 44K mi and it's an o4 that I bought from an adult...so I don't think it's a bad synchro problem...

Hey man heads up... That is exacly the same thing that happened to me. It was like on high RPMS when I tried to shift into third gear, it was like as you said, hitting a brick wall. I bought Hurst STS (bought it off ebay really dont think it was a Hurst) hoping that would help me shift a little smoother. Went to the track and tried to shift into third same thing. This time messed up syncros.. Moral of the story. Buy a STS if you don't have one... Don't buy it off ebay. Steeda, Pro 5.0, MGW are the best..
Old 05-22-2010, 01:59 PM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Soldier GT
Hey man heads up... That is exacly the same thing that happened to me. It was like on high RPMS when I tried to shift into third gear, it was like as you said, hitting a brick wall. I bought Hurst STS (bought it off ebay really dont think it was a Hurst) hoping that would help me shift a little smoother. Went to the track and tried to shift into third same thing. This time messed up syncros.. Moral of the story. Buy a STS if you don't have one... Don't buy it off ebay. Steeda, Pro 5.0, MGW are the best..
I've had a MGW for couple months now. Did you end up fixing your synchros to fix this problem?
Old 05-22-2010, 02:08 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by smitty2919
I've had a MGW for couple months now. Did you end up fixing your synchros to fix this problem?

Yeah man i got it fixed (car was still under extended warranty mechanic hooked me up). I threw that ebay shifter in the trash. I researched this time and found out that hands down the MGW shifter is the best. It even looks good... Man I can get on it and I swear it is almost impossible to miss third now. I love it!!!

Quick Reply: STILL missing third... HELP!!!