4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Drag radials on New Edge

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 10:36 AM
trailor
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ddmsgtr1
I'd run a 15x8 with a 275 on it. Then you need to throw some gears on to help you out.
then why does your sig say your runnin 315/35/17's? wouldnt that be way too much?? what am i missing here?
Old 06-02-2010, 11:52 AM
LS WHAT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by trailor
then why does your sig say your runnin 315/35/17's? wouldnt that be way too much?? what am i missing here?
your not missing anything, the 315/35/17's looks mean from behind, I'd say too much tire for a mostly stock stang, even more so being MT's but the drag radials are not going to bite as well as the MTSS tires.
Old 06-02-2010, 12:44 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Originally Posted by LS WHAT
your not missing anything, the 315/35/17's looks mean from behind, I'd say too much tire for a mostly stock stang, even more so being MT's but the drag radials are not going to bite as well as the MTSS tires.
Only problem with MTS (Mickey Thompson Streets) out back is if you have a radial up front (I'm sure you do). With MTS in back which are bias ply you can run in to some top end sway which can be scary.
Best stick with a D/R (Drag radial)
Old 06-02-2010, 04:44 PM
LS WHAT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by lizzyfan
Only problem with MTS (Mickey Thompson Streets) out back is if you have a radial up front (I'm sure you do). With MTS in back which are bias ply you can run in to some top end sway which can be scary.
Best stick with a D/R (Drag radial)
yes sir, thats why I said it's best for track only (safety wise) they're just a nice sticky tire, more like slicks with groves.
Old 06-03-2010, 04:21 AM
ddmsgtr1
4th Gear Member

From everyone I've talked to on the forums here and at the track, going from a 17" rim to a 15" rim makes a big difference. Yes, I did it for looks at the time I bought the wheels, but they've treated me well at the track so far. With the bigger sidewall of a 15" wheel I don't think it's necessary to go with a 315. As for a bias ply vs. a radial, I'd go with the radial if you plan on going back and forth to the track with them. Jason Lee can carry the front end 300' out on a BFG radial, I would think you'll be fine.
Old 06-03-2010, 06:42 AM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

Question

Originally Posted by dimebag
I run a 15x8 with a 275-50-15 mt dr...ill be honest...the car did better with a 15x7 and a 235_60_15 mt dr
Is there a noticeable weight difference between these two tire/wheel combinations? Is it the rotating mass that makes one slower than the other or is one too sticky? I would have thought if it was hooking too well and bogging...just dump it higher no?

Are drag radials in general heavy than an average street tire for the same application or vice versa? For example- say you have a 285/35/18 NT05-aluminum 18x10 wheel setup verses a 285-ish Drag radial on a 15" prostar-would one necessarily weigh more than the other?

Sorry I'm dumb when it comes to this lol
Old 06-03-2010, 08:14 AM
LS WHAT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by devongarver

Are drag radials in general heavy than an average street tire for the same application or vice versa? For example- say you have a 285/35/18 NT05-aluminum 18x10 wheel setup verses a 285-ish Drag radial on a 15" prostar-would one necessarily weigh more than the other?
No they are about the same weight, the size contributes to the weight and also you have to figure in how tall the tire is because this changes your gear ratio, for instance “you have a 4.10 gear but you install a tire that has a overall diameter of 30”, on a new edge mustang, the factory overall diameter of a mustang tire is 25.7 so having that tire raises your gear ratio to approximately 2.92 sitting at the line” A all stock NE stang lines up next to you will walk you because the factory gear ratio is 3.27. The Bold lettering example above is an example but there is a formula you can use to find out the true ratio with the demotions described above. Hope I explained it well enough.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:48 AM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

No they are about the same weight, the size contributes to the weight and also you have to figure in how tall the tire is because this changes your gear ratio, for instance “you have a 4.10 gear but you install a tire that has a overall diameter of 30”, on a new edge mustang, the factory overall diameter of a mustang tire is 25.7 so having that tire raises your gear ratio to approximately 2.92 sitting at the line” A all stock NE stang lines up next to you will walk you because the factory gear ratio is 3.27. The Bold lettering example above is an example but there is a formula you can use to find out the true ratio with the demotions described above. Hope I explained it well enough.
Well i was assuming the same tire height...Can you not get a DR in a 26" tire or what? Or is it just preferred to have larger so that the sidewall is taller for more flex?
Old 06-03-2010, 11:22 AM
LS WHAT
2nd Gear Member

yes the taller tires are for the serious hp cars that need the flex in order for suspension squat too hook, there are plenty of tires that are very close to a stock mustang tire, for example
Go here then click on the "specs" tab it will show all different sizes in the overall diam column, also in the search feature type in "drag radial" and they will show all the DR's that they sell.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:14 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Originally Posted by devongarver
Can you not get a DR in a 26" tire or what?
I run MT D/R 275/50/15 which is 26"

Quick Reply: Drag radials on New Edge