4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Steering makes "creaking" noise

Old 06-11-2010, 03:39 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Yes, if the problem is that the tube brackets are too long (which is what the Ford TSB is all about), then you will see the entire steering rack move back and forth by 1/8" or more. This movement is what causes the creaking.

Shortening the brackets places a higher preload on the bushings so as to keep the rack in place more tightly--all Ford's fix is is shorter brackets.

However, if you are going to replace the OEM rubber bushings with after market polyurethane bushes you will like not need to shorten the brackets--in fact I would not as you may end up overloading the urethane, which it doesn't like. Urethane will sometimes fracture if too highly loaded.

Originally Posted by hpwrestler220
What do you mean by this? I will actually see the steering rack move? I thought that the inside of it pivots? Maybe i am just stupid haha.

So all it is, is i pull off the nut and bushings, then i pull out that tube bracket and cut the side that is towards the rear of the car, then reinstall? It sounds easy enough...

I'll have my dad do the method with me...

I guess i will install some polyurethane steering rack bushings as well while i am in there. They are cheap and supposedly tighten up the steering!!!
Old 06-11-2010, 05:30 AM
cwharrison72

Just curious. I am having a similar creaking sound. I had my gf behind the wheel while I crawled under and had her take the wheel back and forth. I noticed the steering racking moving quite a bit and the creaking seemed in unison with the creaking sound. I did read the tsb ford has out but it didnt seem to cover my year. I have a 1996. So my question is does this mod suggested by cliffk apply to my year?
Old 06-11-2010, 02:49 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

So then if i just get the urethane or aluminum steering bushings and do NOT shorten the tube brackets, than is the creaking still going to be there??

Originally Posted by cliffyk
Yes, if the problem is that the tube brackets are too long (which is what the Ford TSB is all about), then you will see the entire steering rack move back and forth by 1/8" or more. This movement is what causes the creaking.

Shortening the brackets places a higher preload on the bushings so as to keep the rack in place more tightly--all Ford's fix is is shorter brackets.

However, if you are going to replace the OEM rubber bushings with after market polyurethane bushes you will like not need to shorten the brackets--in fact I would not as you may end up overloading the urethane, which it doesn't like. Urethane will sometimes fracture if too highly loaded.
Old 06-11-2010, 02:59 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

So then if i just get the urethane or aluminum steering bushings and do NOT shorten the tube brackets, than is the creaking still going to be there??
I have no idea, I suspect not, but try 'em and see--it's a 30 minute job to pull the tubes and shorten them if you need to.

One thing to note is that the reason Ford used rubber, and made the initial preload too light (which is why the fix is shortening the brackets) was to control NVH, When you stiffen up the mount, by whatever means, there will be an increase in transmitted road noise. I noticed it when I shortened the brackets, and I have since made a set of bushes from Delrin which further increased the road noise.

I have not used aluminum bushings (though I considered using aluminum for those I made), however I suspect they would kick the noise level up a notch as well...
Old 06-12-2010, 12:51 AM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

Maybe i will just go urethane... It should significantly tighten up the wheel a little bit. I just have a LITTLE bit of play. I'll try to get it ordered and done soon and i will post my review... With the urethane i will just shorten the brackets
Old 06-12-2010, 06:32 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Maybe i will just go urethane... It should significantly tighten up the wheel a little bit. I just have a LITTLE bit of play. I'll try to get it ordered and done soon and i will post my review... With the urethane i will just shorten the brackets
I would first test fit one side without shortening the bracket, as the urethane is much less resilient than the OEM rubber bushing and I would be hesitant to overly deform it in the initial loading. As I said above urethane does not like being greatly deformed and will often crack, or cold flow so as to fit the preload in to its idea of how things should be--which means the added initial load accomplished nothing.

IMHO the only problem with OEM bushings is that the tube brackets were too long and did not properly preload them. Also you need to ask yourself "If polyurethane bushings are better, why didn't Ford use them?"; they are after all much cheaper to make than molded rubber...
Old 06-12-2010, 06:42 AM
cwharrison72

Apparently It did apply to my 96. Did it yesterday took about 45 minutes. Went to harbor freight bought a hack saw and a dummy proof tape measure. I cut roughly 1/8 inch off. Other the bushing being dirty...road grim and what not they were fine...greased the inner portion of the bushing and the tube that was inside of the bushing. Put it all back together and knock on wood the creaking sound is finally gone. And fyi I noticed my steering has much less play in it now than it did. cliffk...you the man!
Old 06-12-2010, 11:09 AM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

All good things to think about Cliffyk... Maybe i'll jsut cut the brackets and see if that helps before i go spending money... Thanks
Old 06-12-2010, 11:25 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

All good things to think about Cliffyk... Maybe i'll jsut cut the brackets and see if that helps before i go spending money... Thanks
That's what I'd do--wait...that's what I did...
Old 06-29-2010, 03:09 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

Update:

I just did this fix today and it worked!!! The steering rack is finally quiet, and the steering is more direct and crisp... Definitely a great fix. Thank cliff for your write up and thanks everyone for responses and input...

If your steering is making a creaking noise, do this fix.

The hardest part was trying to cut the tube brackets straight. I used a hack saw and cut off maybe a little bit more than 1/8"... I hope thats not a problem cliff. It was difficult for me to measure and cut on that damn tube bracket and keep the cut straight. Ended up getting them pretty damn straight, but at the cost of a little extra of the tube bracket being grinded down. It drives fine and is much better, so i think i will be ok

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Steering makes "creaking" noise