4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.
Old 10-23-2015, 06:12 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Ford Mustang GT Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

A/C TROUBLE!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 02:10 PM
crtalmage

Question A/C TROUBLE!!!

My a/c went out on my 2001 mustang gt. The compressor clutch wouldn't kick on or off. So being the mechanic that I am, (backyard) I assume that the clutch was bad. I went to the part store and bought a clutch cycling switch to see if that would fix it... it didn't. Then I bought a new compressor, in order for the compressor warranty to be good you got to buy the dryer and orifice tube. Went home and replaced it all, refill it with 134a and started the car. It didn't fix a thing the compressor wont kick on at all. So now I think it something electrical can anyone out there tell me if they had the same problem or what they think can fix it? Before I spend another $400.00 for nothing.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:01 PM
DRAGUL
5th Gear Member

First off you spent 400.00 dollars and yes probably for nothing. It probably was just low on refrigerant . If it is low on refrigerant there is a pressure switch, which is a safety feature. It protects the compressor when there is a low charge and does not allow the clutch to engage. I hope you did not just replace the compressor and everything else , and just tried to recharge. If you did this it will not work. You have to pull a vacuum on the system removing all air and moisture and leak check. Then it must be recharged to the proper amount of ounces printed on the sticker under your hood. You should take it to someone that knows what they are doing. You probably already spent more than you had to. This is why there is HVAC schools.
Old 06-05-2010, 10:17 AM
crtalmage

I did check the refrigerant before I change the compressor and the pressure was good and I also pulled a vacum on it before I refilled.. the clutch should still kick on and off if it is low on refrigerant. and I also change the pressure switch before I started any replacement of the compressor.
Old 06-05-2010, 01:55 PM
DRAGUL
5th Gear Member

Now is probably a good time to take it to someone who can fix it. You already put 400 into it and still have the same problem. So you probably already wasted 400 dollars on parts you did not need to replace. At the least take it and have the problem diagnosed. Then you would know for sure what the problem is, and you could fix it yourself. If you do not know how to properly diagnose the problem then all you are doing is wasting your money throwing parts at it hoping you get lucky. I have learned over the years that most times it is cheaper in the long run to pay a diagnostic charge then throw parts at it. And from someone who works as a service tech there is nothing more frustrating then someone who thinks they can fix it themselves then screws it all up. Then not only do I have to diag the original problem I have to fix what they did which is usually worse then the original problem. There are people on here that service vehicle air conditioning and maybe they can help. Sorry I work servicing commercial refrigeration,and this is not the type of refrigeration I do. My only experience is on my own vehicles. Anyway good luck. If you do fix it post what the problem was.

Last edited by DRAGUL; 06-05-2010 at 02:07 PM.
Old 06-05-2010, 09:04 PM
crtalmage

There nothing that I've done to screw up my car. Anything I do is done right, I have fixed air conditioning in my other cars before. I posted this forum hoping to find someone who may have experience the same problem and can point me in the right direction to fix it. I will post the problem when I get another chance to fix it, sometime within the week.
Old 06-05-2010, 09:55 PM
jmstang66
2nd Gear Member

I'm having the same prob with my a/c man too..mine blows but just hot air, my refrigerant level is fine according to the gauge, but the clutch on the compressor isn't kicking on.....seems like alot of ppl are having ac problems...
Old 06-06-2010, 02:51 AM
Yellow_stang
1st Gear Member

Talking

my car has the same problem it was recharged to what the specs were and it just wont engage the clutch on the compressor and i checked for power going to the compressor and there is no power so what i did, i kno its not the proper way to do it but its working for me so far. I jumped power to a black with yellow stripe wire that runs to the compressor on ur engine bay wire harness from a on/off switch,

i was told by a mechanic that these cars run the a/c off the CCRM which is located on your passenger side fender-well hope this helps
Old 06-06-2010, 05:48 PM
crtalmage

Thanks your tips it will be very helpful. My brother was telling me about that CCRM and I think that might be something to look into. I probably going to go to the junkyard and pull one off, and if it works go buy a new one. If it works I will let you guys know.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:33 PM
crtalmage

Thank you Yellow Stang, I'm sure that the CCRM is bad so I'm going to change it in the near future. I read that the CCRM also control the fuel pump so before I get stranded somewhere I'm going to change it. I jumped the wire for now, it works just fine. I don't beleve they teach that in HVAC school.

You should check it out jmstang66, it might fix your problem too. Thanks
Old 06-08-2010, 12:29 AM
Yellow_stang
1st Gear Member

Wink

Originally Posted by crtalmage
Thank you Yellow Stang, I'm sure that the CCRM is bad so I'm going to change it in the near future. I read that the CCRM also control the fuel pump so before I get stranded somewhere I'm going to change it. I jumped the wire for now, it works just fine. I don't beleve they teach that in HVAC school.

You should check it out jmstang66, it might fix your problem too. Thanks
no problem glad that it help you out...