4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Clutch going out?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 11:32 AM
MyGt03
2nd Gear Member

Default Clutch going out?

T3650 5-Speed. 50k miles. All stock.

I recently noticed that when releasing clutch, the section in pedal travel where clutch grabs and slips, is getting shorter. I mean, when I release clutch on take off, soon as I feel clutch start grabbing, if I release a tiny bit more, it grabs hard and can almost stall engine. Never did this before. Where I used to have say 2 inches of travel before total clutch engage, I now have 1/2 inch. Its most noticeable when first starting and all is cold.

I don't feel any slipping or smell clutch. It never gets beat or drove real hard, but will still do a burnout if I wanted. Now afraid to do one in fear of roaching something out. A very slight vibration is being felt through clutch pedal and gear shifter. Although this vibration may have always been there.

One final thing. I find myself, after shifting gears, I leave my foot resting on clutch pedal. Slightly depressing. Not to point it would cause any slipping. Just resting. Sometimes for miles, unaware foot is resting there. Is this something for concern?

I know we got a clutch genius out there somewhere. Thanks for any info...
Old 06-05-2010, 01:24 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

My grandfather taught me to drive, almost 50 years ago now, and he would have whacked me in the head if I left my foot on the clutch pedal.

As to your situation it may be that the pedal adjustment has changed, or the clutch disk is glazed which can happen from excessive "slipping" of the clutch.

50k miles isn't much, I replaced the clutch in my '03 recently at 105k--the clutch probably had another 25k in it but the TOB was gunked up and noisy.
Old 06-05-2010, 03:39 PM
eventer289
3rd Gear Member

The clutch cable could have stretched out. There is information in the owner's manual about how to adjust the stock clutch. You do something like pulling upward on the pedal a few times.

Leaving your foot resting on the clutch pedal is a very bad habit. By doing that you every so slightly taking pressure off the clutch and flywheel contact. This will cause premature wear on the clutch and will burn it out much faster than it should.
Old 06-12-2010, 07:20 AM
MyGt03
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
My grandfather taught me to drive, almost 50 years ago now, and he would have whacked me in the head if I left my foot on the clutch pedal.

As to your situation it may be that the pedal adjustment has changed, or the clutch disk is glazed which can happen from excessive "slipping" of the clutch.

50k miles isn't much, I replaced the clutch in my '03 recently at 105k--the clutch probably had another 25k in it but the TOB was gunked up and noisy.
Thanks cliffyk, and sorry so late on a thank you and reply. Been very busy.

Im finding that breaking habit of resting foot on clutch pedal is being harder to break than I thought. Now I'm noticing that my "vibration" is getting slightly worse. Enough to shake passenger seat slightly while driving at highway speeds. That and my gear shifter shakes in tune with the vibration. Resting hand on shifter doesn't stop it.

I also suspect the slight gearbox sound or whine is getting louder. I usually have music loud and rocking, so cant be for sure. I went for cruise other day with music off and didn't recall gearbox being so noisy before. Last, definitely a pulsating or "chatter" feeling when clutch is slipping on take off. My first thought is a warped flywheel. Could I be right?

I should mention, I recently pulled tires off and painted front/rear calipers red. Since tires were off, I decided to rotate tires following service manuals instructions. When I first felt vibration, I thought it might be due to this. But with my other symptoms, cant be for sure. Gonna have tires re-balanced to confirm if that would indeed be the cause of my "vibration" issues.

I know an unbalanced tire(s) can cause major vibrations, but would it cause gear shifter to shake?

Thanks again guys for any help...
Old 06-12-2010, 07:26 AM
MyGt03
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by eventer289
The clutch cable could have stretched out. There is information in the owner's manual about how to adjust the stock clutch. You do something like pulling upward on the pedal a few times.

Leaving your foot resting on the clutch pedal is a very bad habit. By doing that you every so slightly taking pressure off the clutch and flywheel contact. This will cause premature wear on the clutch and will burn it out much faster than it should.
A wise man once said, " Bad habits are hard to break". And he is right.

This information on adjusting stock clutch cable, is this in the owners manual or service manual? I have both. Owners manual usually don't tell you crap.

Thanks again for your reply...