4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Rapid Fuel Consumption...Brake Issue?

Old 06-12-2010, 12:26 AM
ChalknCover
Sgt. Killjoy

Angry Rapid Fuel Consumption...Brake Issue?

Okay, boys and girls, people of all ages. I have a problem and it all started at Midnight Madness at MIR. I have a 15.7 gal fuel tank (as we all know). I had a 1/4 tank left leaving the track, but the time I got home, it was on fumes. So that means, in the 32 miles exactly it takes to get home, it burned through almost 4 gallons of fuel, and I was driving 5-10 over the whole time, so nothing crazy. So, that means I was getting about 8 mpg. The problem though, I don't know when or how it happened. I made it down to the final three, so we had been going round robin. The first round robin, my ET dropped from a 14.08? to a 14.22. Now, maybe it is that bad with the built up heat and such, and it was consistent for the rounds there after, staying between a 14.22-14.25.

So, when I got home, I hopped out, and my right front wheel was hot, I could feel the heat radiating off it, where the others weren't nearly that bad, and there was a smell too. Plus, I had a vibration, and it was worse than usual. I have a bad LT/FT tire, so I get vibration from that, but it was worse on the drive home.

In closing, my question is this, do you think I am correct in thinking it is a brake issue, such as a stuck caliper. And if so, what should I replace them with?

My school of thought, is when it breaks, time for upgrades. So, spend my money for me please...and thank you.
Old 06-12-2010, 01:23 AM
My1stGT
2nd Gear Member

had similar problem with mine ,changed wheel bearing hub and that took care of it
Old 06-12-2010, 12:05 PM
ChalknCover
Sgt. Killjoy

How though? I have never had a bad wheel bearing effect my gas mileage like that before. Or are you just talking about the hub?
Old 06-13-2010, 03:07 AM
usermst9673
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BlueBloodedPony
How though? I have never had a bad wheel bearing effect my gas mileage like that before. Or are you just talking about the hub?
The wheel bearing is part of the hub on our cars. Its a sealed one piece unit. When they go bad you just replace the whole thing. They usually make a noise, but its not like most of us can hear it with our exhaust setups. How many miles are on your car? If I remember right it was about 60 bucks when I bought a new one for mine.
Old 06-13-2010, 03:42 AM
LS WHAT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BlueBloodedPony
my question is this, do you think I am correct in thinking it is a brake issue, such as a stuck caliper. And if so, what should I replace them with?
jack it up and hand turn the wheel, if it's hard then yes. Replace it with a autozone caliper, I believe they have a lifetime warranty. You don't need any special one sense your car is about stock condition.

if it's a bearing you will hear it.
Old 06-13-2010, 09:14 AM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

You do realize the gage is not exact? And the gage is designed to lie to you so you do not run out of fuel. How do you know you had 4 gallons left how do you know you where running on fumes?
On the other hand it does sound like you could have a brake that is dragging
Old 06-13-2010, 12:25 PM
ChalknCover
Sgt. Killjoy

Originally Posted by LS WHAT
jack it up and hand turn the wheel, if it's hard then yes. Replace it with a autozone caliper, I believe they have a lifetime warranty. You don't need any special one sense your car is about stock condition.

if it's a bearing you will hear it.
I don't know if I would be able to hear it, like the other guy said about the exhaust, under throttle, she gets pretty loud, but yeah, this thing is going on a lift this week so I can check it out.

Originally Posted by BraMas
You do realize the gage is not exact? And the gage is designed to lie to you so you do not run out of fuel. How do you know you had 4 gallons left how do you know you where running on fumes?
On the other hand it does sound like you could have a brake that is dragging
I always keep the car low on fuel, saves weight and such, and the low fuel light was on when I put 6 gals in it before heading to the track, I figure, I went through 1-1.5 going to the track, maybe .5 at the track, so that would leave about 4 gals in the tank, which should have been enough to not only get me back home, but to drive to work twice this week.