4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

eaton upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 02:00 PM
00infernoGT

Default eaton upgrade

hey, any way to get a lightning blower onto a 2000 GT 2v and make it work properly?
Old 06-20-2010, 03:02 AM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

yes, by swapping the lightning motor with it.
Old 06-20-2010, 12:21 PM
trailor
3rd Gear Member

if you're that interested in putting an eaton supercharger on a mustang as a "cheap" FI setup, your best bet would be to get an eaton m90 off a tbird supercoupe or cougar xr7 and put it on a 98 or lower v6 mustang. its a lot cheaper and a lot simpler, and will be faster than the tbird supercoupe bc of the weight difference. i could go into detail on the setup and what you would need for that swap if you're really interested, as i was going to do it on my 3.8L taurus before it got flooded, and actually still have all the parts for it.

the m112 setup on the lightning is much different. a lot of engine components were changed to make it work. as stated earlier, you'd do better just swapping the whole engine. now the tbird sc/xr7 did have a stronger crank, i believe, but the one on a normal 3.8L hasn't shown any weakness under aftermarket centrifugal setups, so i doubt it would really raise an issue.
Old 06-20-2010, 04:31 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

ok so enough bull ****... it can be done... however... the lightning s/c has a top inlet... so its not going to all fit under prty much any hood out there... if u want to do it use a cobra s/c... its the same blower with a different inlet and will work under a mustang hood.

check out torktech.com they have the lower intake needed to adapt it
Old 06-20-2010, 04:45 PM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by dimebag
ok so enough bull ****... it can be done... however... the lightning s/c has a top inlet... so its not going to all fit under prty much any hood out there... if u want to do it use a cobra s/c... its the same blower with a different inlet and will work under a mustang hood.

check out torktech.com they have the lower intake needed to adapt it
yeah ok, no...that is not the only problem you have. the lightning is a 5.4L. you are going to need a **** ton of modifications to get a 5.4L eaton to even mount to the heads on a 4.6L with some custom adapter plates that you will probably have to fabricate yourself. the 5.4L heads are wider apart than the 4.6L due to the increased stroke, then whatever other modifications will need to be done ontop of that (as you know tork tech designed a plate that has a separate belt system for the blower, not sure if that type of stuff will need to be done or not as well).

to repeat the old expression, anything can be done with enough money is true. you CAN get a 5.4L eaton onto a 4.6L if you have enough dough SURE, but i'm guessing the OP found one on ebay for 200$ and thinks its the deal of a life time and will bolt to his car with little modification just like all the people asking about the cobra eatons.
Old 06-20-2010, 08:07 PM
trailor
3rd Gear Member

^couldn't have said it better myself
Old 06-20-2010, 08:38 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

ok but what your failing to realize is that were talking about the blower... not the lower intake too.... that blower will bolt on with the torktech set up... u dont use the 5.4 lower...

and id love to see what adapter plates you think youd be able to use to get a wider intake in a smaller space

he asked if the blower can be used... the answer is yes it can, with the torktech kit
Old 06-20-2010, 10:52 PM
trailor
3rd Gear Member

wow the tork tech kit is between 1800-2k bucks... then you hafta buy injectors, fuel pump, the m112, the intake from the MAF to the TB... what a steal... you might as well go with a used 2.1L Kenne Bell, you'll get more power out of it for about the same price.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:54 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by dimebag
ok but what your failing to realize is that were talking about the blower... not the lower intake too.... that blower will bolt on with the torktech set up... u dont use the 5.4 lower...

and id love to see what adapter plates you think youd be able to use to get a wider intake in a smaller space

he asked if the blower can be used... the answer is yes it can, with the torktech kit

Isn't that Tortech kit like $2,000. If so, OP it's not worth it IMO. You can get a intercooled S/C (Procharger) that's made for our cars off corral.net. I think the guys asking like $2,700. If I hadn't bought the V1 head unit already, I would have jumped on that with the quickness..

Last edited by Soldier GT; 06-20-2010 at 10:57 PM.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:53 AM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

Hey i didnt say it was the smartest way to go... simply answered the question...yes a m112 can be used

Quick Reply: eaton upgrade