4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Short throw shifter help

Old 06-25-2010, 05:25 PM
AuburnStang00
1st Gear Member

Default Short throw shifter help

Hey guys..i got a 2000 gt. I wanna put a short throw in it. Can someone link me to what i should get. I see people always suggest a certain kind...possibly MGW...but im not sure what that means...also what should i be looking at as far as install price for this? Thanks guys..Oh and for those of you who might have seen me post before and i got dogged for the body kit that it came with...thanks to a piece of tire debris on highway i got a 03 04 cobra bumper being put on and i did the antenna and mach 1 grille mods...pics coming next week
Old 06-25-2010, 06:46 PM
yamanx
1st Gear Member

Good to hear about the body work

But as far as shifters go you need to find which tranny you have, if you have a 6 as your first digit on your door sticker under the Tr (Transmission) part than you have five-speed manual, T-45 OD Mustang Transmission. This is the standard Mustang transmission that is found in 1996 to Mid 2001 Mustang GTs as well as 1996 to 1998 Mustang Cobras. If you have a 5 as your first digit, your car came with a T-5 OD Mustang transmission. Finally, if you have a K as the first digit in the "TR" code, you have a TR-3650.

So find out exactly which tranny you have and then purchase a short throw from there. I personally use the B&M Ripper and love the thing, it has shift stops to stop you from putting it too far into gear and also allows you to push or pull it in to gear as hard as you want without worrying about damaging shift forks and such.
Old 06-25-2010, 07:16 PM
zero2005
4th Gear Member

MGW fer the win! lol. honestly, you cant really go wrong with any of them. well at least most of the bigger named ones. avoid ebay knock-off's. i can say that the MGW is freakin awesome.

http://www.mgwltd.com/

and as stated, find out what your transmission is first.
Old 06-25-2010, 07:17 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

EDIT: ^ types too fast

You will not find a consensus on this one....

I have run Hurst and now run a Pro50. I found the Hurst to be a "notchy" and my Pro50 to be very smooth to shift. The Hurst "felt" better at the beginning, as it seemed more solid when in gear. Over time, I found that unless the shifter was exactly lined up within the gears inside, it would resist going in easily. The Pro50 is more forgiving in this reguard and like it.

I have not tried any others and figure MGW is going to be high on the list of recommendations.

Jazzer
Old 06-25-2010, 08:13 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Your 2000 GT has a Tremec sourced T-45 transmission.

I will not comment as to the "best" STS as I am biased:

Here's a thread that explains how they (STS's in general) work, and what the compromises are...
Old 06-25-2010, 09:50 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

I had a Hurst didnt like it at all.. Went with the MGW. Had a buddy who had the Steeda Tri Ax, let him drive my car with the MGW and he put his up for sale on ebay the same night. OP, when you look on ebay and it says its a name brand STS, 9 times out of 10 its not, so be careful.
Old 06-26-2010, 07:48 PM
04BlueGT
5th Gear Member

I've had the Steeda Tri-Ax for several years now and have no issues. However, I've not tried any other brand, so I have no comparison.

Now, as far as installation, do it yourself! It took me about 45 minutes during lunch at work. You need a couple of sockets, ratchet, 4" or 6" extension, a gasket, and maybe an hour. Mine came with instructions and it was very easy, even if you're not mechanically inclined. I would also recommend blue locktite on the shifter handle bolts.

http://www.stangshiftergaskets.com (don't bother installing the piece between the shifter and the handle - it'll probably fall to pieces and allow the bolts to back out like mine did)

Good luck with whichever one you choose.
Old 06-26-2010, 08:58 PM
98redstang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat
EDIT: ^ types too fast

You will not find a consensus on this one....

I have run Hurst and now run a Pro50. I found the Hurst to be a "notchy" and my Pro50 to be very smooth to shift. The Hurst "felt" better at the beginning, as it seemed more solid when in gear. Over time, I found that unless the shifter was exactly lined up within the gears inside, it would resist going in easily. The Pro50 is more forgiving in this reguard and like it.

I have not tried any others and figure MGW is going to be high on the list of recommendations.

Jazzer
+1 i love my pro 5.0 my friend hasa hurst in his 94 gt and he likes mine 100% better. A lot of people suggest the mgws as well. Never felt one myself but a lot of people seem to like it.
Old 06-27-2010, 12:59 AM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

I have a Steeda Tri-ax and can't complain. I have not tried other shifters but I am more than happy with the Tri-ax. The 2-3 shift is nearly impossible to miss anymore.
Old 06-27-2010, 01:14 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by WannaBeGearHead
I have a Steeda Tri-ax and can't complain. I have not tried other shifters but I am more than happy with the Tri-ax. The 2-3 shift is nearly impossible to miss anymore.
There you have it, with the MGW it IS impossible to miss the 2-3 shift

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Short throw shifter help