4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

check engine light cause?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2005, 12:34 AM
ajspellm
2nd Gear Member

Default check engine light cause?

i have a 96 mustang gt with 49000 miles on it and i was just driving it tonight and the check engine light came on. the car still runs fine and everything but i have been getting bad gas mileage. i have gotten between 13 and 16. the car does not sputter or anyhting when i drive it either. i have had the car for about 2 weeks and have not had any problems with it before this. my friends think it is an o2 sensor. what do you guys think the problem is?
Old 08-08-2005, 12:36 AM
maddash
1st Gear Member

Default RE: check engine light cause?

Take it to autozone or find someone with a code reader.
Old 08-08-2005, 12:38 AM
02StanGT
4th Gear Member

Have you done a tune-up lately? New plugs, wires, fuel filter. If you want to know what the code says go to auto zone they read em for free.
Old 08-08-2005, 12:42 AM
ajspellm
2nd Gear Member

no i just got the car from a kid who works at a jiffy lube so i think he might have kept on that. the car is in great condition.
Old 08-08-2005, 12:50 AM
PipsBlackStang
4th Gear Member

I would say O2 sensor. Advance Auto has a handheld OBDII scanner for like $100 or somewhere around there. I bought one about a year back and it'll pays for itself in just not having to pay someone to look at it. 96 is the first year of OBDII so make sure you get a II. It will come in handy and its always nice to have because even if your car is running fine you may have a friend with a check engine light on and you can give them a free scan and then do the work for them and make some cash.
Old 08-08-2005, 09:19 PM
ajspellm
2nd Gear Member

i drove my car to work today and i went out for lunch and as i was driving the check engine light turned off so i think it might be fine now. shoudl i still take it to a place and get it checked out?
Old 08-08-2005, 09:52 PM
Jglisson
3rd Gear Member

Usually those symptoms are indicative of a Delta Feedback Pressure Switch. A little doo-dad that doesn't cost that much. It assists in proper control of emissions and works off of the EVAP system. If you get a chance to read the code, let me know what it is.

Should be a P4301 if I recall correctly...or is that a # 4 misfire.

Regardless...let me know. A fuel injection service will help clear the EVAP system a bit.
Old 08-08-2005, 11:22 PM
ajspellm
2nd Gear Member

will the code still be there even though the light has turned off?
Old 08-08-2005, 11:27 PM
04BlueGT
5th Gear Member

I have never heard of a light going off by itself. That's odd. My '04 stayed on until I cleared it. As for whether or not the code is still there, I don't know. On mine, the codes come in two stages. One: flashing MIL means code detected for the first time, but not repeated. Light goes off, but the 'pending' code remains. Two: Solid MIL means code detected two or more times. Light stays on until cleared, even if problem is fixed.

My guess is that the code is still there. I wonder if your MIL bulb is burnt out? Anyone know if it is a small bulb or a LED?
Old 08-08-2005, 11:40 PM
Jglisson
3rd Gear Member

A lot of misinformation out there.

Actually, a CEL will go off by itself. It happens quite often actually. The code will stay as a pending code unless the problem continues to occur. The trigger limit before a pending becomes a hard code which triggers a CEL varies by individual systems, but regardless, you probably still have a pending code that may be read. Even a hard code will disappear if the all systems begin operating correctly. A hard code are usually stored for around 30 miles if all systems are cleared. Some hards are set so that it does take a reset, once again it depends on what triggers the fault. It also depends on whether or not a frequent pending may keep the hard code on file. Most EVAP/EGR and a few other emission codes will turn a hard code on and off depending on engine temp, weather conditions, fuel quality, etc.

A flashing CEL does not necessarily mean more then two pendings have been reported, but that a code has been reported that is serious enough to warrant immediate attention (so Ford thinks so anyways). Even a multiple cylinde misfire may not throw a flashing CEL. However, an enhanced code often will. They want that car to the dealer!

I would venture to say that you still have a pending on file. Hook up to a scanner and see. You can buy a cheap Actron for under $50 now at Autozone or Advance.

Any of that make any sense?

Quick Reply: check engine light cause?