4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

New (to me) mustang, shifting issues.

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 08:22 AM
Kickstand

Question New (to me) mustang, shifting issues.

Well I finally decided to get in the game and I bought a 2001 Mustang Gt 5 spd and I absolutely love it to death. However I have noticed that I dont really care for the shifter and the clutch. It came with a HURST SST shifter. Now Im not sure if its a shifter issue or if it is a clutch issue but I have to make sure the clutch is buried to the floor to get it to shift properly, especially 2-3rd. Ive never had this issue before with any other manual transmission car I own and I would like to change it. Im just trying to figure out if its the shifter or the clutch. What would you guys recommend?

I was debating on just buying the clutch adjuster kit from AM and just being done with it right off the bat.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:34 AM
Kickstand

Well I pulled the all the way up to reset it and it seams to have helped a little but its still not where i want.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:59 AM
04BlueGT
5th Gear Member

Hard to say. Is it the stock clutch and how many miles are on the car? Although uncommon, there's potential the shift fork is bent, but it's unlikely. You've already pulled the petal up to reset the adjuster, right?

The adjustable cable, quadrant, FW adjuster should help. I have one waiting to go into my car right now. I may get to the install this weekend.
Old 06-28-2010, 12:23 PM
trailor
3rd Gear Member

it is not recommended to run the adjustable cable with a firewall adjuster, but plenty people do it. either way, i would replace at least the clutch quadrant and the shifter. both are huge pieces of crap from the factory, and you will see noticeable differences once they're changed.
Old 06-28-2010, 12:57 PM
04BlueGT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by trailor
it is not recommended to run the adjustable cable with a firewall adjuster, but plenty people do it. either way, i would replace at least the clutch quadrant and the shifter. both are huge pieces of crap from the factory, and you will see noticeable differences once they're changed.
Never heard anyone advise against both before. Is your clutch slipping at all, especially above 4K rpm?
Old 06-28-2010, 02:06 PM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by trailor
it is not recommended to run the adjustable cable with a firewall adjuster,
^^^^ Says who? never heard this before...

but plenty people do it. either way, i would replace at least the clutch quadrant and the shifter. both are huge pieces of crap from the factory, and you will see noticeable differences once they're changed.
^^^He said he has an aftermarket Hurst Shifter already...

OP- Get yourself an adjustable clutch quadrant, and firewall adjuster to help with the engagement.

As far as the integrity of the clutch that is in there, are you experiencing and slipping at all, does the clutch catch really high or just a few inches from the floor?
Old 06-29-2010, 10:22 AM
Kickstand

Its catching a few inches from the floor, I'm getting used to it but it isnt quite ideal. the car is a 2001 and it has 72k on the odometer. It doesnt feel like its slipping just not engaging like i would like
Old 06-29-2010, 11:37 AM
trailor
3rd Gear Member

well for one thing, an adjustable cable is not a good idea altogether. there are plenty of write ups on this forum, so i welcome you to search them just as i did when i was in the market. they are prone to fray or snap and have numerous reported problems.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:12 PM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

Well I agree I have read issues of aftermarket cables snapping...but never anything about the firewall adjusters causing issues? I am using the stock cable in mine with a firewall adjuster along with an adjustable quadrant if I remember correctly...crap it's been a while and my memory can deceive me...
Old 06-29-2010, 12:23 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

It sounds like the cable may be too loose, how much free play does the pedal have?

Press on the pedal with your hand and note how far it moves before you feel the TOB contact the clutch spring fingers. It should be 1-1/4" to 1-1/2", maybe 1-5/8", 1-3/4"+ is too much.

Here's a good write-up of how to manually adjust the semi-automatic factory monkey-motion thing.

However an after market quadrant and adjuster (with a stock cable) is the proper solution...

Quick Reply: New (to me) mustang, shifting issues.