4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

02gt no crank no start

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 02:45 AM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Since you seem to be the night owl cliff, explain to me what that little ground wire does. Its a small gauge wire witha 90* elbow, and just pushes onto the stud on the fuel rail or valve cover towards cyl #8. Thats what is messing adams car up. He connects that wire and it starts. But it is literally melting itself away. I no longer have access to my Ford PTS website (quit the dealer)
Old 07-20-2010, 03:16 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Don't ask me to make any sense of it, however it is G101:

and it's the ground for the AC Clutch coil:

What the heck it's doing over there beats me--looking at the parallel grounds around the AC clutch, and the diode in the CCRM, it must be some EFI/RFI related thing?
Old 07-20-2010, 07:48 AM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

Regardless its bull**** lol... for some reason when i turn the key it melts itself... if i hook it back together itll start and then remelt....im at a loss
Old 07-20-2010, 08:24 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by dimebag
Regardless its bull**** lol... for some reason when i turn the key it melts itself... if i hook it back together itll start and then remelt....im at a loss
If it's melting then obviously it's being asked to handle more amperage than it possibly can--one thing that just occurred to me:

Is the ground wire from the battery to the block (just behind the oil filter) in place and properly connected?

If it is not then that skinny little wire at G101 is being asked to carry the full current of the starter and anything else that expects the block to be a solid ground--the generator comes immediately to mind--I.e. more than enough to melt it. Once it melts anything that expects the engine block to be grounded (like the generator and spark plugs) no longer have a good ground connection.

Connect a jumper cable from the negative battery terminal to a solid place on the block and see what happens. Or crawl down under there and make sure the ground wire behind the oil filter is solidly connected, and intact between there and the battery's negative terminal.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:20 AM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

cliffyk.......always two steps ahead
Old 07-20-2010, 11:11 AM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

Car trailor is on its way.... thats the 1st thing ill try
Old 07-20-2010, 11:46 AM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

This is a good one, can't wait to see if it was a bad ground. That was my hunch as well.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:31 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

The ground strap from the frame to the block was broken off. Replace the strap = no more fires under the hood..
Old 07-21-2010, 03:22 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by WhiteFoxGT
The ground strap from the frame to the block was broken off. Replace the strap = no more fires under the hood..
Yay!

There should be a line directly from the negative battery terminal to the block. Heavy gauge wire that runs into a harness just below the battery, then under the front of the engine, then breaks out and connects just aft of the oil filter adapter--is that there, or is that what you are referring to?
Old 07-21-2010, 06:25 AM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

Very good.

Quick Reply: 02gt no crank no start