4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Blew out a plug

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 08:41 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by devongarver
^^ that doesnt make me feel very good about my car anymore lol. I have never used a torque wrench on the plugs, but I did use antiseize, and was very "gentle" putting them back in. In a hypothetical situation, what would happen if he used a helicoil, and it blew out again in another year>? Is the head then not repairable? Or just not repairable with a helicoil again-now requiring it to be removed and machined?
"Gentle" is not a unit of measure, get a torque wrench.

A 20 to 200 lbin 1/4" drive is preferable as then the 156 lbin (=13 lbft, the top end of the spec, that's what I head for) used to torque the plugs is well into the upper half of the wrench's range. This is where it will be most accurate.

HF has a nice one that is sometimes on sale; in fact is is now.

While you're there pick up one of these.

The added length keeps the socket from canting on the plug, I got mine 4 or 5 years ago, one of the best $5 purchases I've made; it's on sale now for $4.

Also pick up a 1/4" female to 3/8" male adapter--you'll likely need it to mate the wrench to your plug socket.

If you don't have, or care to get, a torque wrench then snug hand tight, then and additional 1/16th turn is what to head for. A 16th of a turn is not much, only 22.5°, spend the $20 for the wrench.

In your proposed scenario, replacing the Helicoil would likely not be possible; however inserting a Timsert might be, as they use a larger initial bore then the Helicoil.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:29 AM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

Nice. I'll be purchasing those two items it looks like. Thanks for the help!
Old 07-20-2010, 09:47 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Use the torque wrench on a sturdy bolt a few times to get a feel for it--as the maximum torque rating falls the "click" on click-type wrenches becomes more subtle, on a 1/4" drive wrench it's easy to miss it until you realise what to listen/feel for--after that it becomes second nature...
Old 07-20-2010, 05:42 PM
nickmckinney
3rd Gear Member

Helicoil is the easiest for someone like me to go behind and replace with a Timesert when the head is off the car. Only problem with any of the repairs is getting the depth correct as from what I see showing up at the shop correct depth is achieved about 5% of the time.
Old 07-20-2010, 05:59 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Also, while this seems to be an exclusively Ford issue, Google spark plug blow out -ford -mustang and you'll see we have company.

It is fairly common on the '98 through '03 model Miatas, for the same reason. The plugs were only expected to be replaced 2 or 3 times in the engine's life, every 100k miles, so the partially threaded plug holes were used to prevent the plugs from seizing into the head.

I realise I'm sounding like a broken record, but they have to be properly torqued or at least seated by hand and then given another 1/16th turn...
Old 07-20-2010, 06:23 PM
schmallz
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by lizzyfan
Go with Timeserts and be done with it
Timeserts FTW, just had one installed last week.
Old 07-20-2010, 06:53 PM
Frostbitten
4th Gear Member

i wouldnt use a helicoil on my engine. Ive seen before where some old helicoils will get brittle and break after changing the plugs a few times. Pieces of helicoil end up falling into the cylinder...
Old 07-20-2010, 07:11 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by Frostbitten
i wouldnt use a helicoil on my engine. Ive seen before where some old helicoils will get brittle and break after changing the plugs a few times. Pieces of helicoil end up falling into the cylinder...
As have I, the larger diameter Helicoils cannot handle any sort of impact loading-if repeatedly subject to pounding loads the spring wire will work harden and break up. That's why I suggested that one plan on selling the car in 15k to 20k miles if Helicoils are used to repair a blown plug.
Old 07-21-2010, 06:12 PM
Lord Ashram
2nd Gear Member

*sigh*

This all makes me a bit depressed... although thanks for the info.

One good thing; I only put about a thousand miles a year on the car, MAX, so hopefully that will help.

Can I ask; does the fact that the car is blown/makes more than stock horsepower have any impact on the repair? I would assume so, but...

Anyway, thanks all... I wish I had the money to fix it correctly, but I just don't (especially since I now have to replace the clutch and front brake rotors on my daily driver... grrr, two breakdowns in 10 hours.)

Thanks!
Old 07-22-2010, 03:40 AM
schmallz
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lord Ashram
Can I ask; does the fact that the car is blown/makes more than stock horsepower have any impact on the repair? I would assume so, but...
Removal of all the extra super charger components might be a factor, depending on what super charger you run and what cylinder bank is the one missing a plug.

I removed my CAI and T/B before I had it towed to JBA, saved them 15-30 minutes and saved myself 25-45 bucks.

Quick Reply: Blew out a plug