4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Tired of this car. Battery problems???

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 12:45 AM
bignickwaite
2nd Gear Member

Default Tired of this car. Battery problems???

Ok heres the story 98 mustang gt 4.6L wife drove it to work everything was fine she comes out 8 hrs later car is fine starts right up. She drives to walmart .5 of a mile away (same shopping plaza) Stops goes inside for a 1/2 hr comes out and it wont start. She gets someone to try to jump it and it wouldn't take enough charge to fully jump it. So AAA gets called and the guy comes out there and trys his jump box. When he puts the jump box on it its fine , but when he told my wife to crank it to start it ,it started to spark at the terminals. The tow truck driver said the connections on the terminals were bad and the battery needed to be replaced. I just bought the car a few weeks ago and theres been nothing but problems ie. fuel pump /fuel neck grommet/ vacuum lines. But to me this just doesn't sound right , the battery is dated 02/09 from Wal-mart. So if anyone has any knowledge please help thanks -nick
Old 07-20-2010, 02:04 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

If not properly maintained (properly tightened, cleaned once in a while and sprayed/coated with corrosion inhibitor) the battery terminals can and will deteriorate, one or both probably needs to be replaced.

As to the problems you have been having, 12-year old cars very often come with a number of issues--that's why it is so important to have one checked by an independent and trusted mechanic if you are not tech-savvy yourself.

Do you have any recourse with the seller?
Old 07-20-2010, 11:06 AM
bignickwaite
2nd Gear Member

I'm pretty tech savy when it comes to buying cars and inspecting them . I knew the car was wrecked before I bought it and it had some issues. I jumped to soon and saw what I wanted and didn't think about all the problems it would have .. lol .. I've bought and sold 15 cars in the past 2 years never lost on one of them i get a kick out of "wheelin and dealing" . Well I think it was about time I lost on one so I'm gonna chalk this one up to experience and do what I have to do fix.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:50 AM
0949er
4th Gear Member

thats going to be a project car for sure.

Once you get over all the little things it should turn out ok though. Its just finding and fixing all those little things...
Old 07-20-2010, 11:57 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by bignickwaite
I'm pretty tech savy when it comes to buying cars and inspecting them . I knew the car was wrecked before I bought it and it had some issues. I jumped to soon and saw what I wanted and didn't think about all the problems it would have .. lol .. I've bought and sold 15 cars in the past 2 years never lost on one of them i get a kick out of "wheelin and dealing" . Well I think it was about time I lost on one so I'm gonna chalk this one up to experience and do what I have to do fix.
Cool, sounds like you know what you're into--many don't and end up blaming Ford for what is really the complete failure of any previous owner to properly (or even at all) maintain the vehicle.

I know people, my stepson being one, that never change the engine oil--they just add a quart when the light comes on...
Old 07-20-2010, 02:19 PM
bignickwaite
2nd Gear Member

lol...no ive been middle class most of my life and always did my own repairs unless it was really major. it is a project to weed out all the little things, but im sure it will be worth it hell its a FORD! always a ford man and always will be. i figured it out i went and had the battery tested it was fine so i replaced both terminals and wires to the battery so it starts up fine now . thanks god for forums like this i love to learn and thanks for the help guys -nick