4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Replacing oil fill tube gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 11:41 AM
kast1376
3rd Gear Member

Default Replacing oil fill tube gasket?

My oil fill tube seems to have a small leak from the gasket area. I have a stock CAI, and nothing rubs against it, so I was assuming my PCV valve is going bad. However, I just passed smog 3 weeks ago with no problems (but the tech said my NOX readings were high. They were well below the limits)

If the PCV valve is causing the blow-by, I am gonna guess I should replace the gasket and the PCV valve. (NO CEL light has popped up either)

Any tips on the easiest way to fix this gasket? I would love to get some aftermarket valve covers, but I do not want to spend almost 300 bucks for this fix.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:56 AM
swarthyfellow
3rd Gear Member

Are u saying that it is leaking at the cap or between the valve cover and the head. I can't image that the cap would even leak anything at all. Its not that big of a deal to pull of the valve cover and replace the gasket or i'm sure you could just get some RTV gasket seal and give the whole cover a good coat and put it back on. Just be careful taken the cover off so u don't tear the gasket to bits. As far as the PCV valve, i would check all the vacuum lines and there connections before you go replace the valve. Good luck
Old 07-21-2010, 12:01 PM
kast1376
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by swarthyfellow
Are u saying that it is leaking at the cap or between the valve cover and the head. I can't image that the cap would even leak anything at all. Its not that big of a deal to pull of the valve cover and replace the gasket or i'm sure you could just get some RTV gasket seal and give the whole cover a good coat and put it back on. Just be careful taken the cover off so u don't tear the gasket to bits. As far as the PCV valve, i would check all the vacuum lines and there connections before you go replace the valve. Good luck
it is leaking a little bit at the gasket. Not even noticeable on the dipstick, but enough that I do not like it, especially since I am purchasing a supercharger on Fri. Or the last tech that changed my oil (Living in a super strict apt. sucks!) knocked the tube and the gasket got messed up.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:22 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

The filler tube and valve cover are not shown as separate parts in any view I can find in the shop manual, this of course means no gasket is indicated. I suspect the tube is ultrasonically welded to the cover, the small bead of what looks like it could be a gasket is melted plastic from the welding process.

I would wipe it good and clean and observe it for a while before doing anything, as you said it could just be spilled oil that was only casually wiped up...
Old 07-22-2010, 10:12 AM
kast1376
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
The filler tube and valve cover are not shown as separate parts in any view I can find in the shop manual, this of course means no gasket is indicated. I suspect the tube is ultrasonically welded to the cover, the small bead of what looks like it could be a gasket is melted plastic from the welding process.

I would wipe it good and clean and observe it for a while before doing anything, as you said it could just be spilled oil that was only casually wiped up...
I have done that, and gonna wait and see.

Hopefully it is just an old spill. The oil did not appear to be fresh, and there were no tell-tale leaks anywhere else. It just spooked me as I just bought a complete (except for fuel pump) Procharger kit, and I am not slapping that on if the motor is having a leak issue!
Old 07-22-2010, 12:02 PM
swarthyfellow
3rd Gear Member

yeah i get what u are saying now. I was thinking it was between the cylinder head and the valve cover. I wouldn't be to worried about it. Even if there is a small leak there isn't much oil pressure up there to cause issues.