4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Hit a curb and bent something, but don't know what. Got pics.

Old 07-23-2010, 12:13 PM
travbedaman
1st Gear Member

Default Hit a curb and bent something, but don't know what. Got pics.

Long story short, I slid my front drivers side into curb going about 25 mph. Took it to my local trusted small shop and they dont see anything bent. The shop aligned it as best they could and my stock strut tower is pushed way out to compensate, but the car pulls to the left something wicked.

There is a machine they have that will tell them what is wrong but informed me it will prolly scratch my wheels and recommended I take it to a frame shop or somewhere that has better equipment. Ugh.

While its not super obvious unless you look at it, the drivers wheel is pushed back towards the wheel well (toe in?) by about an inch or so. I just don't want to walk into a new place and have them anally violate me without lube.

Good side.

Evil side.

So what do you think needs to be checked? My shop said maybe lower control arm, but wasn't really sure (I really don't think they deal with these types of issues). I at least want to sound somewhat informed when I stroll into a new shop for a repair.

As soon as I fix this then I can lower it and get rid of my 4x4, sweet.
Old 07-23-2010, 12:17 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

any good shop can tell what is bent by comparing s.a.i. (steering axis inclination) from side to side. something is definately bent. my advise would be to take it to a GOOD shop and have it inspected. if they know what they are doing they will find it rather quickly. you most likely bent your lower control arm steering knuckle or strut.
Old 07-23-2010, 12:46 PM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

LOL...I hope HP wrestler sees this thread, his wheels both look like this all the time.
Old 07-23-2010, 01:42 PM
sonicx
speed'n

Originally Posted by devongarver
LOL...I hope HP wrestler sees this thread, his wheels both look like this all the time.
Yea for sure ^... its really not too big of a deal. I had a similar of sorts story happend to me when i hit the curb last fall. I torn up a rim even . But with your pics, it took me some time to notice a difference. It the car drives the same, i wouldn't want to have some new shop rape me so to speak on a price to fix something that not too many people could see is wrong. Now, if the steering or handling isn't to your liking and or its something that you can't stand either preformance or visual. Then its your call... change it. Good Luck
Old 07-23-2010, 04:42 PM
travbedaman
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by sonicx
Yea for sure ^... its really not too big of a deal. I had a similar of sorts story happend to me when i hit the curb last fall. I torn up a rim even . But with your pics, it took me some time to notice a difference. It the car drives the same, i wouldn't want to have some new shop rape me so to speak on a price to fix something that not too many people could see is wrong. Now, if the steering or handling isn't to your liking and or its something that you can't stand either preformance or visual. Then its your call... change it. Good Luck

Well it drives with no issues...except even after an alignment it pulls to the left so much that if I let go of the steering wheel the car will basically turn corners by itself. It also now rubs the inner wheel well when I do a u-turn.

When I put in the lowering springs, I'm also getting new struts as well as a good set of camber plates to help out.
Old 07-23-2010, 05:19 PM
budders
4th Gear Member

same thing happened to mine but the front wheel go bent all the back so far its touching the wheel hub. the tie rod and the LCA are bent and gonna have to be replaced. the k-member might also be damaged.
Old 07-23-2010, 05:30 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by devongarver
hahaha. I see the thread! f*ck you!

I guess i have 2 evil wheels. Because mine are both pushed back toward the rear of the car...

Back during winter last year, i slid and hit a curb with my car sliding at 15mph... Bounced off that b*tch. I just needed a good alignment. I hope thats the same with you... Goodluck
Old 07-23-2010, 10:42 PM
sonicx
speed'n

Well i suppose we're all ROYALY **** now aren't we? JK JK. But anyone down for forming a Brotherhood based off our bad luck hahahaha
Old 07-23-2010, 11:15 PM
swarthyfellow
3rd Gear Member

note to self... don't hit curbs. I'm really curious to see what the is actually damage there. If u need an A-arm i have a set i'm looking to sell.
Old 07-24-2010, 08:28 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Originally Posted by travbedaman
Well it drives with no issues...except even after an alignment it pulls to the left so much that if I let go of the steering wheel the car will basically turn corners by itself. It also now rubs the inner wheel well when I do a u-turn.

When I put in the lowering springs, I'm also getting new struts as well as a good set of camber plates to help out.

Well.... a GOOD shoppe would NEVER leave your car in such condition. As Jwog suggested, find a shoppe that knows what the hell they are doing and get it fixed properly. It is obvious from the pics, your description and the fact that you hit a curb at 25 MPH....! that something is damaged/bent. My guess is the "A" arm on that one side, but could be worse than that

Jazzer

PS. hpdub.... Do you have CC plates and a VERY aggressive caster setting or what?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hit a curb and bent something, but don't know what. Got pics.