4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Degreeing Cams

Old 08-05-2010, 10:07 PM
erikka.paige
1st Gear Member

Default Degreeing Cams

How is degreeing the cam different than timing the motor? I've never done cam work. But I have done timing chains on my car, and helped friends with their cars. I THINK I understand the concept, I just want to know if anyone can explain it so that I understand it a little better.

Thanks in advance for the assistance guys.
Old 08-05-2010, 11:11 PM
jvog
5th Gear Member

Here is an article on how to do it, hopefully it gives you some insight. I pulled my motor twice and still paid someone to degree my cams because it looks like a big pain in the *** http://www.modularheadshop.com/Artic...m%20degree.htm
Old 08-06-2010, 09:10 AM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

^^^Yep Nick's write up is the one i followed when i did mine. It was time consuming with the motor in the car, but it worked out well.
Old 08-06-2010, 12:07 PM
erikka.paige
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mrtstang
^^^Yep Nick's write up is the one i followed when i did mine. It was time consuming with the motor in the car, but it worked out well.
so from what I can tell its just timeing the motor well checking to make sur its opening right when one wants it to insted of just trusting it to be where it is should....this is a very dumbed down statment
Old 08-06-2010, 02:10 PM
Blk003GT
4th Gear Member

What's the benifit of degreeing ur cams?
Old 08-06-2010, 02:46 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Originally Posted by Blk003GT
What's the benifit of degreeing ur cams?
To make sure the cam is in sync so to speak with your rotating assembly
These 2v are off alot of times from the factory, when I did my PI swap one bank (left head) was going rich. You can gain some power too when cams are degreed
Old 08-06-2010, 04:40 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Basically what lizzy said, and to also make sure that the new cams are degreed to the proper specs. Mine came from Bullet 7 & 5 degrees retarted from the desired intake centerline.
Old 08-06-2010, 04:56 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

The term is used to describe both the act of accurately measuring the angular relationship between the crankshaft and camshaft(s); and the act of tweaking the cam timing, to optimise flows into and out of the combustion chamber.

To do the latter and adjust the relationship need a "trick" crank sprocket with multiple key slots, or adjustable cam sprockets. I have not sen any of the multi key slot crank sprockets for the modular engines, but they were commonly used on the old pushrod/OHV engines.
Old 08-06-2010, 06:08 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Originally Posted by cliffyk
The term is used to describe both the act of accurately measuring the angular relationship between the crankshaft and camshaft(s); and the act of tweaking the cam timing, to optimise flows into and out of the combustion chamber.
Couldn't of said it better myself
Old 08-06-2010, 06:59 PM
b96gtman
1st Gear Member

Now trick flow makes the old style adjustable crank gears for the Modular engines. U just have to link them together after timing the cams. Nick at MHS has an article on this also i think? My stock cam gears were off over 4 degrees!! Nick saved me with some gars that were set straight up perfect!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Degreeing Cams