4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Something isnt right? 296hp????

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 07:22 PM
boduke0220
6th Gear Member

i dont think it it that high, cause every one screams how high a mach's is and its only like 10:1
Old 07-29-2010, 07:34 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

Either way, the op needs to get that thing to the track before swapping parts out. Those numbers sound a little low given he has cams and ported heads, but the low numbers can be caused by many variables including ambient air temps, tuning, heat soak if the tech ran the car several times without a decent amount of time in between to cool back down, etc....

seeing what the car runs in at the track is a much better indicator of whether or not the car is making the power it should be given his mods.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:52 PM
b96gtman
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MU71L4710N
incorrect. kenne bells website says not to have longtubes because the canned tune they mail out does not correct for longtubes and causes blown engines. if longtubes had zero effect on the car over stock headers, kenne bell would not have to have this disclaimer. there are people on this forum who have blown their motors with kenne bell's tune because they did not listen to the "no longtube headers without custom tune" part.

longtubes vs. shorties is good for HP at the top of the RPM band. so the way i see his car, his typhoon is likely causing a power loss, and having shorties vs. longtubes is not helping his peak horsepower numbers. if he were to switch to longtubes, he would loose roughly 20HP in the middle of his RPM band, but would pick up HP at the peak of his power band (which is where the peak HP number everyone makes such a big deal comes into play). so switching to longtubes and putting a real intake on his car, and possibly a few small supporting mods (since cliffy said his maf and injectors are way too big), he should be into the 300s. people with just cams and no stage 2 heads are putting down 285-295 range.

i can show you a dyno graph too. they did stock, shorty, and longtube headers compared on the same car.

the stock was baseline. forgetting the peak power numbers for a minute (and these numbers are not exactly accurate im going off memory but you see my point).

with equal length shorty headers, at 3,000rpm the car gained roughly 25rwhp more than stock headers at 3,000rpm. at 3500rpm, the car had roughly 20 more rwhp than stock headers at 3500rpm. at 4,000rpm the car had rougly 15 more hp than stock headers at 4,000rpm. the point where the car hit maximum power, equal length shorties had only 2-3rwhp over stock. this is where the PEAK horsepower number was taken from, so if thats ALL you go by, you think you only gained 2 horsepower...when in actuallity that is not correct because you had significant impact on other parts of your RPM band, but the peak horsepower numbers do not show this.

with longtubes, the car actually had a little less horsepower than stock in the low part of the rpm band. however, at 3,000rpm it had 2-3 more rwhp over stock headers at 3,000rpm. at 3500 it had 5rwhp more than stock headers at the same rpm. at 4,000rpm it had 10 more rwhp over stock headers at 4,000rpm. so on and so forth until the point where peak horsepower was made, the longtubes made roughly 20-25 more rwhp, so this 20rwhp was that over stock. so say with stock headers the car put 250rwhp PEAK. with equal length shorties, it was roughly 252rwhp at PEAK. with longtubes, it was roughly 270rwhp at PEAK.
Never heard of longtubes being to blame for a Motor blowing up? Thats a new one to me.i dont know how often u r around a dyno but having a friend who Owns a dyno shop and another who works at one I have Personally seen with my own eyes the very SMALL results that lt's put out on the 2v motor,and the 3v and cobras.

KB's website says under HEADERS:,"Long tubes make VERY little if any power OR actually LOOSE power according to our customer reports." they say that pre cat and cat removal is worth 10hp. But that through their dyno testing on all kinds of Modular stangs the gains are minimal. They also say "Example: If headers make 20hp at 700hp but NOTHING at 400,500,and 10hp at 600hp why would u buy headers for a motor that will NEVER see 700hp?"" Not too mention on their Ford Tech info under Headres cats and collectors their 05gtwith a 2.8 MAmoth with 700rwhp made 0hp gain with Longtube headers. 0,bro.

and No where did i see where longtubes will blow a motor. all i was saying is for the little 5hp gain its not worth the hassle of changin. And he doesnt need a freakin intake on that car. an NA car wont benifit from an aftermarket intake until WAY up in the rev range. and would need compression and some Mean *** cams to get it up there. Aftermarket intakes Loose power usually until 6000+ rpms. as Nick AT MHS puts it, its hard to improve the all around performance of the pi intake on an NA car.
Now im not saying that longtubes are not a good mod. Just that they dont make the power some think they do. OTHER than the Edelbrocks. THEY are the BEST headers and according to some of the best mod builders in the country they make the most power. i just dont think they are worth the install and skrill unless your going an all out NA motor reved to the moon.

Last edited by b96gtman; 07-29-2010 at 08:01 PM.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:56 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by tbirdscwd
I was always told stock CR on PI engines was 9.7:1??
I have seen that in some sources--it's incorrect, in fact the factory specs say 9.37:1...

I have also seen a number of sources, mostly magazines, list the bore and stroke as 91.4 x 91.4, this is incorrect as well--that would be:

91.4² * pi * 0.25 * 91.4 * 8 * 0.000001 = 4.8 litres...
Old 07-29-2010, 09:19 PM
b96gtman
1st Gear Member

Stock compression for a pi motor is 9>6 to 1 as told by the Mod Father himself: John T. from Modular Performance.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:20 PM
foru2nv4
2nd Gear Member

U know in all honesty u might need a tuner plug in 2 ur computer and try to get the best adjustment u can due to the temperature.(just remember when its winter its gonna b a diff tune). Sounds like replace the fuel filter so u can weed that out of what problems there could b and put a bigger fuel pump n or n electronic ignition pump that sends more volts to ur fuel pump then it gets now which makes it send more fuel and makes the pump last longer especially if ur not runnin it hard every second of every day.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:04 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by b96gtman
Stock compression for a pi motor is 9>6 to 1 as told by the Mod Father himself: John T. from Modular Performance.
So Ford got it wrong in the factory shop manual--for 5 years?

I know where that number comes from, I've seen it before--it ignores that the pistons do not rise all the way to nearly full contact with the head, which would be far to close for comfort.

As calculated above, a 90.2mm bore and 90mm stroke = 575.1cc swept volume.

Add the 44.0cc combustion chamber and 15.8cc piston dish and you get 59.8cc.

575.1 / 59.8 = 9.6:1

However the piston doesn't rise so as to nearly contact the head--at TDC there's about 0.247mm (0.010") clearance between the piston and the head.

That adds another 90.2² * pi * 0.25 * 0.247 = 1578mm³ = 1.58cc to the squish volume.

So, 575.1cc / (44.0cc + 15.8cc + 1.58cc) = 9.37:1 compression ratio.
Old 07-30-2010, 05:04 AM
b96gtman
1st Gear Member

Cliffy: But if yur gonna be that exact yur cams are gonna change dynamic compression too.And pi Pistons have a 17cc dish stock right? im pretty sure its 17cc's stock for a pi piston. In sean hylands how to for the 4.6l it lists the non pi piston at 11cc and the pi at 17cc.Na cobras at 3cc and the 04 cobra at 17cc also.

Isnt that right?? Or No? (not a smart *** comment by the way) Real ? what wud it really be with the 17cc?

Last edited by b96gtman; 07-30-2010 at 05:07 AM.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:01 PM
EODMustang
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MU71L4710N
didnt even read that, the typhoon needs to go. u should throw a stocker back on
He's right, that typhoon is a piece of s%*#. I actually lost a few hp under the exact same tuning, measurement, and weather conditions when I switched from the stock one. It was really frustrating. Somebody told me it's because of the lower plenum of the manifold. Something about it being too small. They said that in that particular manifold design it was best to have as large a lower plenum as possible, like in the Hardballer manifold. All in all though I think that stock-style design is crap anyway and if you really want to maximize your gains from those heads you should go with an intake like the P-51 or the Logan Motorsports manifold. Also if you want to upgrade your fuel pump cheap, get one of the 255lph Ford GT pumps. They're around $100 and they'll support whatever you need at this point. I'm running a single one and I'm making 373/410 on a single turbo with no fuel issues whatsoever, and you're gonna be running even leaner than me being N/A, so it'll definitely work for you.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:21 AM
nickmckinney
3rd Gear Member

I have measured a bunch of stock PI chambers and I always get 42cc give or take. Every 0.010" I remove from the deck loses about 1cc pretty evenly as well. I am not the only one that finds 42cc to be closer to reality.

Send the Typhoon to the scrap metal yard where it belongs IMHO.

Quick Reply: Something isnt right? 296hp????