4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

CUTTING SPRINGS

Old 08-01-2010, 02:48 PM
Mr99cobra
2nd Gear Member

Question CUTTING SPRINGS

What is the best thing to cut coil springs with?
Old 08-01-2010, 03:21 PM
jimkaray
4th Gear Member

Cut off wheel is the safest but a Sawzall goes through like butter. Goes through body parts even easier so be real careful with it.
Old 08-01-2010, 03:29 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

Cut off wheel would be good.. Dremel i guess. Hacksaw

Cut off wheel is option #1... Hacksaw would take a long time.

Just make sure you have a bag of ice or ice cold water next to you to dip the spring in so it doesnt overheat (which would ruin the integrity of the spring itself)...Take breaks so this doesn't occur if you are cutting for a while.. The steel WILL get hot
Old 08-01-2010, 04:23 PM
Mr99cobra
2nd Gear Member

Thanks
Old 08-01-2010, 04:42 PM
BriansNSane
1st Gear Member

I'm not going to turn this into "that" kind of thread but just to throw it out there, You could go on Ebay and get a full 4 spring set of dropzone lowering springs for 115 to 135 all day long.I have a set of 2" ones on mine and love em!

"Edit" I just noticed you have H&R springs in your sig. are you cutting those?
Old 08-01-2010, 05:54 PM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

Air grinder with a cutoff wheel works best. And yes, be careful. Not worth losing your fingers over.
Old 08-02-2010, 02:35 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by hpwrestler220
Cut off wheel would be good.. Dremel i guess. Hacksaw

Cut off wheel is option #1... Hacksaw would take a long time.

Just make sure you have a bag of ice or ice cold water next to you to dip the spring in so it doesnt overheat (which would ruin the integrity of the spring itself)...Take breaks so this doesn't occur if you are cutting for a while.. The steel WILL get hot
i wouldn't try it with anything but a cut off wheel. a hacksaw would literally take him almost all day to get through a single spring. it takes long enough with the air powered cut off wheel.

also you really don't need ice cold water. just a bucket of cool tap water to occasionally dip it in. i have a decent sized compressor but i had to occasionally stop to let the compressor catch up which kept the spring from getting very hot in the first place. also i noticed that the spring only got warm about a half coil or so away from the cut. it really doesn't get as hot as people make it out to be unless you are literally inches away from the cut. i only dipped the single coil i was cutting in water after every break and heat was no problem.

OP: didn't you already make a thread about this? take your isos out first before you start making permanent changes.
Old 08-02-2010, 02:50 PM
jimkaray
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 945LSTANG
i wouldn't try it with anything but a cut off wheel. a hacksaw would literally take him almost all day to get through a single spring. it takes long enough with the air powered cut off wheel.
The steel isn't as hard as some of you guys seem to think. The reason (IMO) for that belief is because of how long it takes to do with a cut off wheel. If your arms don't get tired a hacksaw will cut through it faster than a cut off wheel, and a Sawzall with a metal blade will cut through it like butter. Cutting with a saw makes holding it securely more difficult and hence potentially more dangerous then using the wheel. If you're going to be making multiple trial cuts & installs to get it just where you want it you'll be there all day with a cut off wheel cutting 1/4 coils at a time.
Old 08-02-2010, 03:44 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jimkaray
The steel isn't as hard as some of you guys seem to think. The reason (IMO) for that belief is because of how long it takes to do with a cut off wheel. If your arms don't get tired a hacksaw will cut through it faster than a cut off wheel, and a Sawzall with a metal blade will cut through it like butter. Cutting with a saw makes holding it securely more difficult and hence potentially more dangerous then using the wheel. If you're going to be making multiple trial cuts & installs to get it just where you want it you'll be there all day with a cut off wheel cutting 1/4 coils at a time.
dude i just did this less than 6 months ago. pretty sure i know whats up.

and a hacksaw faster than a cutoff wheel?! HAHAHAAHAHA!! gimme dat crack rock.
Old 08-02-2010, 07:18 PM
Mr99cobra
2nd Gear Member

Yes I'm cutting the H&R's. I started a thread about this before but wanted specific what people cut with. I'm getting it just where i want it and only cutting 1/4 of a coil or so.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: CUTTING SPRINGS