4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

BRB Install...Cliff??

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 10:30 AM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

Default BRB Install...Cliff??

So I'm putting a Push Start Button on my car, I was going off of this from Cliff:

http://www.paladinmicro.com/PalMFrame00.htm?wks=brb

I got under and I noticed there are two Grey/Yellow wires and a White/Pink...
I need to put the buttons etc between the ignition and the harness but don't know what Grey/Yellow wire to do this to.

Pics:

I did not notice and GY/YE wires coming directly from the ignition tumbler. Not to mention those wires were half the size of the ones in the picture.

ANY help would be great guys.
Old 08-08-2010, 12:41 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

interesting...do you have to disable PATS to do this?

could anyone hop in the car and push the button and go?
Old 08-08-2010, 01:11 PM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

No, the car will work normal the way I'm doing it. The key will still be able to be used as well as the alarm system.

All this is doing is putting a momentary switch inline with the normal use of turning the key forward to start the car. If I cut the starter wire WT/PK then the ONLY the button can be used to start it. If I tap into the WT/PK wire then I can use the key or button.

In either situation the key has to be in the ignition and turned to the "ON" position to send power to my momentary switch. A relay is being used as well.
Old 08-08-2010, 02:07 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Those two wires run through two banks of the ignition switch and are then splice together somewhere before the Central Junction box (fuse block under the dash).

It is splice 211, I do not know where it is--you will need to cut it after the spice or cut both wires at the switch, and join the two to pas them through the relay as one.

I should have been more clear about that, I just now updated the schematic...

Last edited by cliffyk; 08-08-2010 at 02:17 PM.
Old 08-08-2010, 02:44 PM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

Ahh I got ya Cliff. I ended up having access to Mitchell On Demand and found that same schematic you supplied.

I just grabbed some 12 AWG to do all this and have all the components I need (a SPDT relay from NAPA with the resistor inside as opened it to check and a momentary switch). I also noticed you suggested a BRB that would withstand 3A...I grabbed this button but the terminals are quite small...and I will be connecting 12 gauge to it.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2062541

I'm now searching for places that have female connectors that accept 12G wire to connect to my relay and inline (with the BRB) fog light-type (ON/OFF) switch to arm the BRB. RS only has male/female pairs in packs of 3....I just need the female side and more than 3 lol
Old 08-08-2010, 02:59 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by smitty2919
Ahh I got ya Cliff. I ended up having access to Mitchell On Demand and found that same schematic you supplied.

I just grabbed some 12 AWG to do all this and have all the components I need (a SPDT relay from NAPA with the resistor inside as opened it to check and a momentary switch). I also noticed you suggested a BRB that would withstand 3A...I grabbed this button but the terminals are quite small...and I will be connecting 12 gauge to it.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2062541

I'm now searching for places that have female connectors that accept 12G wire to connect to my relay and inline (with the BRB) fog light-type (ON/OFF) switch to arm the BRB. RS only has male/female pairs in packs of 3....I just need the female side and more than 3 lol
You don't need 12ga wire for the wire to the button, and the coil side of the relay--the only current it will see is whatever the relay draws, well under 1A. 18ga is plenty...

I specified a 3A rated switch because of the relay coil's inductive load--just good design practice when momentarily switching an inductor...

BTW--The reason Ford ran two gray/yellow wires in parallel is because a single bank of the ignition switch's contacts could not reliably handle the load...
Old 08-09-2010, 02:16 PM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

Any problems with grounding the "arming switch" and the BRB to the center console power-outlet ground wire? Just tap into it. It's right there and a nice place to tap into for a ground.
Old 08-09-2010, 02:22 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by smitty2919
Any problems with grounding the "arming switch" and the BRB to the center console power-outlet ground wire? Just tap into it. It's right there and a nice place to tap into for a ground.
None at all, again it's just the power for the relay coil that will be flowing...
Old 08-09-2010, 02:28 PM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

Beautiful. I hope to have it loosely wired tonight to see how it works. I plan to cut both grey/yellow going into harness as you suggested since where they join together is in a huge bundle of wires and not very room friendly lol.

I will use wire nuts to bring together the three (two gy/ye one new wire I add) 12G wires unless they sell a 2-into-1 crimp connections for 12G wire.
Old 08-09-2010, 06:56 PM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

I got everything rigged up tonight to do a test install. Getting home at 515 every night only allows for couple hours of install and then possible trouble shooting and I don't want to be stuck in the dark only to not get the car going for work the next day. So Sat morning I will tackle it with a clear, non-rushed mentality and take my time.

I'm hoping to get it all buttoned up this weekend. I have a slew of pics I will post of the in-process install as well as the final install.

Quick Reply: BRB Install...Cliff??