4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Exhaust Hitting

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 11:14 AM
03 GTswag
1st Gear Member

Default Exhaust Hitting

Okay my Mustang has Tokico D-spec and H&R SS springs, I had Super 44's welded in before I lowered it a month ago, now the drivers side axle over is hitting the axle and the uca, what do you guys think? Is that an excuse to to tell the wife that I need to go out and get an OR/H, Mil eliminators and a new cat-back , hate to ruin the 44's only four months old and I cant find a cat-back with the supper 44's just the 40's......Help me out guys!

Last edited by 03 GTswag; 08-09-2010 at 02:39 PM. Reason: ???
Old 08-09-2010, 11:23 AM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

lol sounds good to me! Cut out the the setup you have now and sell it, if they are still in realy good shape you could make a few bucks off of them.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:37 AM
03 GTswag
1st Gear Member

I have no problem getting all of the new stuff and im not even worried about selling the other 44's im worried that I will run into that same problem even with a new system, I hate that damn banging when I hit bumps if you know what i mean, the roads here arent that perfect!
Old 08-09-2010, 11:46 AM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

Ohhhh I see. Well honestly I don't hear about many issues at all with aftermarket cat-back setups hitting on a lowered car. If you buy a professional made catback, it shouldn't be an issue at all.
Old 08-09-2010, 12:06 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

re align the exhaust if possible.
Old 08-09-2010, 02:08 PM
03 GTswag
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 945LSTANG
re align the exhaust if possible.
Well the exhaust is welded and the shop I took it to did a alright job but the problem started after I installed the H&R springs, at first it was cool but after the springs settled it started hitting, I guess I get to tell the old lady I have to get new exhaust, been wanting an OR/H anyways!

Last edited by 03 GTswag; 08-09-2010 at 02:10 PM.
Old 08-09-2010, 02:41 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 03 GTswag
Well the exhaust is welded and the shop I took it to did a alright job but the problem started after I installed the H&R springs, at first it was cool but after the springs settled it started hitting, I guess I get to tell the old lady I have to get new exhaust, been wanting an OR/H anyways!
they welded over the area where the catback bolts up? i was under the impression that they just cut the mufflers out. if you can't unbolt the cat-back, theres no way you are installing a midpipe without further hacking.
Old 08-09-2010, 03:15 PM
03 GTswag
1st Gear Member

No they didnt weld it where the cat-backs bolt up, but not only does the pipe hit the axle the mid pipe scrapes the ground, I need to tuck the exhaust up more, it is hanging low, im just tired of dealing with it and figure if I replace it all I wont have to deal with it anymore, I just bought me another welder cause I sold my last MIG two years ago so I can weld up the new system.
Old 08-09-2010, 04:19 PM
Rockwell28
4th Gear Member

i had the same issue with my passenger side. put it on a ramp unbolt the mid pype where it meets the catback and **** the muffler a lil bit in either direction you need to then tighten the bolts back up. it doesnt have to be alot just **** it a little thats what worked for me so one flow is perfectly flat but the other one is barley off from being flat but it does'nt hit anymore when i go over bumps or whatever.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:33 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 03 GTswag
No they didnt weld it where the cat-backs bolt up, but not only does the pipe hit the axle the mid pipe scrapes the ground, I need to tuck the exhaust up more, it is hanging low, im just tired of dealing with it and figure if I replace it all I wont have to deal with it anymore, I just bought me another welder cause I sold my last MIG two years ago so I can weld up the new system.
loosen the bolts on the catback and fiddle with it until its not hitting anything (if thats possible, worth a try though). as for the hanging midpipe its the same deal. loosen the catback to midpipe bolts, jack it up, and re-tighten the bolts.

it just sounds like your system is out of alignment to me.

EDIT: now that im thinking about it, the shop might not have welded everything up straight. curious...why didn't you buy a catback in the first place?

Quick Reply: Exhaust Hitting