4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

boost issue

Old 08-11-2010, 05:48 PM
96paxtonstang

Default boost issue

Ok so here is the issue. i have a paxton novi 2000 on my 1996 mustang gt. i took the car down to dyno it and it made 295 rwhp atr 10psi. like every guy on here that wasnt enough for me so i installed a paxton intercooler on my car and took it back to be dynoed and it made 255rwhp. the tuner at the time thought it was a clutch issue and back home i went to fix the clutch. so here i am 2 months later going back to re-dyno my car and what do i get? i picked up 10rwhp.

So after evaluating the dyno sheets the tuner sees that i am making more boost than my superchargher is rated at (its a 10lb kit making 12lbs). the tuner thinks that it is an obstruction in the intercooler the equivelent of sticking your finger over a garden hose which increases pressure but obstructs flow. so i contacted paxton and they told me that unless i can prove that is the problem than they WILL NOT help me.

Has anyone had this issue before?
Old 08-11-2010, 06:21 PM
nickmckinney
3rd Gear Member

What intake manifold do you have?
Old 08-11-2010, 06:22 PM
96paxtonstang

stock lower trick flow upper
Old 08-11-2010, 06:30 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

You need to measure the pressure drop across the intercooler, it should not be more than 3psi preferably half that...
Old 08-11-2010, 06:40 PM
96paxtonstang

I didnt dreop psi i picked up 2psi somewhere when i should have lost 1-2psi and no one including paxton has any idea why except for my tuner thinking that the intercooler core has an obstruciton of some sort
Old 08-11-2010, 07:15 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by 96paxtonstang
I didnt dreop psi i picked up 2psi somewhere when i should have lost 1-2psi and no one including paxton has any idea why except for my tuner thinking that the intercooler core has an obstruciton of some sort
As I said above, you need to measure the pressure drop across the intercooler, it should not be more than 3psi preferably half that--if it is more than 5-6 psi then you will have your proof that the unit is obstructed.

This means you need to measure the pressure at the inlet to the intercooler, and at the outlet. The outlet pressure has to be less than the inlet pressure, assuming air is flowing through it from inlet to outlet. This is just plain ol' fluid dynamics at work, if the pressures were the same no air would be flowing, if the outlet pressure were higher then the inlet pressure then air would be flowing backwards through the unit.

The difference between the readings is the "pressure drop across the intercooler" and will be a measure of the cooler's flow restriction--the drop should be no more than 3psi or so.

The "new" 12psi reading was made probably from a point in the plumbing before the intercooler, and could be a result of the cooler being clogged as was suggested. Measuring the pressure drop will tell you a lot about the flow through the cooler.

Also, it is normal for a charge cooler to reduce boost at the manifold, not only because of its inherent flow restriction, but also because as the air is cooled it "shrinks" and becomes more dense--this reduces its volume and thus the pressure within the containment vessel.

The good part is that the cooler and denser air allows more fuel to be injected and more aggressive ignition timing--you didn't mention whether it was retuned or just dyno'd...
Old 08-11-2010, 07:25 PM
96paxtonstang

lol ok that makes sence now i have already looked for a flow tester to do the test.

the tuner attempted to retune my car but with the boost issue and the power not being even close to where it was un-intercooled he decided to stop due to the fact that my bottom end is stock still (for now).

Thank you for your reply i really appreciate it and hopefully that is the issue so i can show paxton that they dont have a clue what is wrong with their own products.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:34 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Ideally you'll need a device known as a differential pressure gauge, the problem is that most are made for HVAC work and don't have much range--typically +/-5psi maximum.

Two plain ol' boost gauges will work, if they are closely calibrated--or for this purpose even just one to first do a run measuring the inlet, and then another run measuring the outlet--if the cooler is clogged the pressure drop will be pretty good sized, 5+psi.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:49 PM
nickmckinney
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 96paxtonstang
stock lower trick flow upper

If its a stock NPI lower swap it to a PI and that will gain a ton of power in this combo. The stock NPI intake is a serious cork for boost.

As for the intercooler issues do the pressure test like stated.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:01 PM
swarthyfellow
3rd Gear Member

+1 Pi swap is a great choice... but it does raise your CR to 10.5 which might not be good since your running boost.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: boost issue