4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

BEST CLUTCH FOR BOLT ONS

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 11:30 AM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

Don't bother with a stock replacement... I think the stock clutch is kinda crappy. Like cliffy said, on hard 3/4 shifts or even 1/2 or 2/3, the clutch nearly takes a sh*t on me. It grabs fine, but it almost cant handle it. The grabbing point gets a lot more mushy than something like an aftermarket clutch. Spend the extra $100 or so for a good clutch bc you'll only (hopefully) have to do it once. Just do it right. Centerforce FTW! But i have also heard nothing but great things about ram as cliffy has stated. And KK is good too i've heard
Old 08-26-2010, 11:36 AM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

I think I need to drive a car with a clutch that is on it's way out and one with a good aftermarket one. It is that fact that I haven't that, I can't relate to the stock clutch sucking. It's like not realizing how crappy the stock shifter is until you install an MGW.
Old 08-26-2010, 01:28 PM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by smitty2919
I think I need to drive a car with a clutch that is on it's way out and one with a good aftermarket one. It is that fact that I haven't that, I can't relate to the stock clutch sucking. It's like not realizing how crappy the stock shifter is until you install an MGW.
My mustang's clutch was about done when I bought it at 70k miles. It was day/night difference when I put in a King Cobra. Good stuff.
Old 08-26-2010, 08:18 PM
Cobrajets
1st Gear Member

I installed a Centerforce DF last month with a FRPP throwout bearing and pilot bearing. I just had the stock flywheel resurfaced and installed new pins. The clutch is as smooth as butter and not much stiffer than stock pedal pressure. No chatter whatsoever. Just make sure you torque all your flywheel and pressure plate bolts to the proper specs. Use brake cleaner on the flywheel, clutch disc and pressure plate to be sure everything is clean and you should have no problems. In my opinion, it's a nice upgrade from stock. Shifts from 2nd to 3rd are alot smoother. I think the MGW and the Centerforce were some of the best mods I made.
Old 08-27-2010, 02:49 AM
Unsullied_Spy
1st Gear Member

My pilot bearing was going out earlier this year so I replaced the clutch while I had the tranny out. After looking around at different kits with different prices and performance levels I went with the Fidanza clutch kit which includes everything, even the pilot bearing that's missing from most kits, and it was under $300. You will need to get at least a firewall-mounted clutch adjuster, I went with an aluminum quadrant with the adjuster and an adjustable clutch cable. I am still in the break in period for the clutch so I haven't been rough on it but the few times I've really put the coals to it it didn't slip like the stock clutch did and the reviews said it could handle over 600 HP.
Old 08-27-2010, 02:52 AM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

Centerforce DF should be in everyone's mod list that has a stick shift mustang IMO
Old 08-27-2010, 11:10 AM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

What's the deal with Spec clutch's? I have a Spec Stage II, full bolt on's and will be going FI in about two weeks. What issues do these clutchs have??
Old 08-27-2010, 12:04 PM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

I have an 03 Cobra clutch sitting here ready to go in. I think that would be the best clutch for a bolt on or even supercharged GT...afterall did come in a factory 400hp car.
Old 10-05-2010, 11:05 PM
nateCR
1st Gear Member

cough* gt clutch after 01 is the same size and if im not mistaking same metal as 03-04 cobra. my stock clutch is holding 441whp.. no probs. why pay more? amd why have a clutch thats rated for more then the trans can handle? i rather have a 250$ fuse for my trans...
Old 10-05-2010, 11:32 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by DreamerGT
Do you plan on going FI anytime in the furture?
That has nothing to do with it. Does he plan on upgrading his Transmission any time soon is the only question he should be asked? Stage1 clutch for a stock trans. Take your pick, I like Spec but you'll find just as many people that hate it. If you're lucky you'll get a good one from any manufacturer.

Quick Reply: BEST CLUTCH FOR BOLT ONS