4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

4.6 dohc turbo QUESTIONS

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 06:59 PM
nickmckinney
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ericp831
and whats a good cheap tuner that will work for me i need to cut off the egr codes too , and i would like to buy a used one like on ebay or ssomething.

Cheap tune and turbo 4V do not belong on the same car.

By the time you get a used tuner and pay someone else to write you a custom program you could have just about bought a new one with warranty. I would say a quarter of the used tune devices on Ebay are vin locked already and will cost you an extra $150 to unlock for your car (and yes I used to work at SCT headquarters)
Old 09-06-2010, 07:01 PM
Ericp831

so what tuner do i need and will i need a chip or what?
Old 09-06-2010, 08:28 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ericp831
so what tuner do i need and will i need a chip or what?
no... not if you have a tuner.... I really don't think you know what you're getting yourself into... a Turbo build is usually a lot more than bolt 5 things on and go fast.

you will also have to wrap A LOT of things in your engine bay.... I don't have a whole lot of experience with TT 4vs but the people i have spoken to say the turbo piping burns the hell out of a lot of stuff.. more than whats on the "hot-side" piping.

"What I mean is the Mustang was not designed with turbo's in mind. Turbo's create a **** ton of heat, enough to melt anything. Battery trays, wiring harnesses, clutch cables, metal lines, you name it. I say reliable because it took me months of heat wrapping things, zip tying things out of the way that my turbo kit melted, that I never thought would melt. Power steering lines, 3 clutch cables etc. And the stuff doesn't need to be touching the turbos or piping stuff itself, just within a few inches was enough to destroy stuff. It actually had nothing to do with the motor. In fact, I would advise against putting in your built motor until you've put a few thousand miles on your turbo setup...that way you know the turbo system is good to go when you put in the real motor. Plus if you have issues with tuning after the new motor is installed, you know it's something with the new parts...not the turbo system. I literally have spent over a thousand bucks with Thermo-Tec buying heat shields and isolators, wire protection, turbo blankets, etc. AND my stuff IS ceramic coated. I don't care who tells you that ceramic coating is enough (they're lying to you) to prevent melting...IT ISN'T! All of my hot side and cold side are ceramic coated (jet hot inside and out) but that doesn't cool the surface temp down while the car is running...it cools the stuff down faster after the engine is off.

Then you have tuning...expect a GOOD tuner to need at least 3-4 WOT pulls to dial in everything per file (that means 3-4 for street, 3-4 for race, etc), and then you have to consider part throttle tuning which takes the longest by far. My tuner and I are still dialing the part throttle street tune in because I want it to drive like a Lexus. I've had the turbo's for over a year. So would I do it again...yes because the power is unreal, but did I enjoy the literal pain in the dick it was to get to where I'm at...absolutely NOT!"

-Smokin04
Old 09-06-2010, 09:48 PM
Ericp831

good advice lol im actually only running a single turbo setup and i am goin to install a tubular k member first to give me a little more clearance and i am goin to double wrap all the exhaust and anything close to any of it will be pulled back and wrapped. I built a 95 twin turbo stang and a 01 with pushrod 393 single turbo with all 95 wiring in dash and under hood, so i know how to set one up but i never have tuned i only ran msd box and fmu. i just dont know about tuning with a programmer and witch to buy? i also hope it makes good power lol my 393 would strait up run!!!
Old 09-07-2010, 09:50 AM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

not to be a dick but people that have built cars like you just claimed to have built do not ask the questions you are asking. Go ahead I know the routine now your going to reply by calling my a bunch of names same thing all the young crowd always seems to do when someone calls BS
Old 09-07-2010, 10:10 AM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

I have been wanting to say the same thing but this is the "new Ox"
Old 09-07-2010, 12:16 PM
Ericp831

i got ya im 22 and had a mustang since i was 15, my dad will not touch a fuel injected car hes old school so he of no help yet hes had old school rides all his life and i have mainly built carbed cars and 94-95 cars in witch i have NEVER touched a tuner only fuel managment units and msd btm boxs!!!!!! and yeah i hear a bunch of nuts always talking about what they have done and how fast there ricers and pos sbc cars are and they are all half lies so i know what ya mean, i am a sbf man and have never touched a 4.6 engine i9 just bought a 99 cobra and im gonna build her, if you wanna know about 79-95 cars just ask me i can prob help ya i can build the hell outta a sbf (preferably a 351w lol) i have ported many heads also and a 393 with stock heads had more power than this stock cobra its honestly pathetic how slow these high tech 4.6 dohc are especially a sohc 4.6 lol but i just wanna know some tech about the 4.6 i feel like they would be a more dependable engine and hence modern clean lookin car and i love the sound of em.