4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Going to 180 degree thermo, what about my fans?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 08:11 AM
maxsideburn
1st Gear Member

Default Going to 180 degree thermo, what about my fans?

Will my fans still engage properly or will I need to get a tune for them to work right?
Old 09-10-2010, 02:06 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

keep the stock Thermostat. it wont do anything to help.
Old 09-10-2010, 04:16 PM
maxsideburn
1st Gear Member

yes it will. from what I've been reading it should be like retarding the timing 1-1 1/2 degree, which I need right now since I've been getting pinging with the SCT chip I have.

So...will my fans still engage at the right time?
Old 09-10-2010, 08:49 PM
ProjectGT

I been running one without tune for awhile with no problems.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:27 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

A 180* T-stat is going to keep the engine 20* cooler than the stock 200* T-stat but to get the full effects of the T-stat you need to adjust you fan high, low settings so they come on 20* sooner than before. Because of this if you're in stop and go traffic your fans will be working a lot more. Once I think your over 33mph your fans don't even come on anyways. Putting in a 180* t-stat shouldn't be put in because you think it will be a performance mod because you won't even know you have it in. You might get maybe an extra degree of timing but that's it. It will only help the longevity of the motor.

This was what I learned from Cliffyk on the subject.

Oh and even though running the fans more is bad and they will mostly likely fail sooner, they are only like $50-60 from your local parts store to replace.
Old 09-11-2010, 08:50 AM
maxsideburn
1st Gear Member

once again I'm trying to get that extra degree of timing to stop some pinging, so I think this might be a good idea.
Old 09-11-2010, 10:07 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

The PCM will see the cooler engine as an opportunity to increase spark advance. It may not do this to any great extent depending on the tune, however it will not retard it. Beyond that you will gain very little with regard to resistance to detonation by changing the thermostat. The real fix is to alter the timing (and/or AFR) in the tune.

Running a lower temperature t-stat can often allow a bit more aggressive spark advance in climates with high ambient temps. Here in Florida with 93 octane fuel it let's me go another 1° or so on the global spark adder in the summer; and it doesn't get cold enough in the winter for the 180° thermostat to have any downside (this may be true where you live as well).

If the fan speeds are not changed there will be no gain from the faster opening thermostat in situations where the fan runs (this only happens on my '03 GT during periods of extended idling, such as in stop-and-go traffic, etc.). At any speed over 33 the fan typically doesn't run anyway, over 40 the it won't run at all as tune won't allow it.

I ended up reducing the fan on/off settings by only 10°; because with the 20° decrease it ran unnecessarily, far too often, and was annoying. There are 4 scalars that need to be changed low speed on and off, and high speed on and off.
Old 09-11-2010, 01:42 PM
nickmckinney
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by maxsideburn
yes it will. from what I've been reading it should be like retarding the timing 1-1 1/2 degree, which I need right now since I've been getting pinging with the SCT chip I have.

So...will my fans still engage at the right time?

If you have an SCT chip the fan settings/tune was designed for a 180 thermostat unless someone turned the fan settings back to stock.
Old 09-11-2010, 03:18 PM
maxsideburn
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by nickmckinney
If you have an SCT chip the fan settings/tune was designed for a 180 thermostat unless someone turned the fan settings back to stock.

I would have thought that Bama would tune my car for the stock thermo since I told them my car was stock....if it is tuned for a 180 thermo then that might explain some of my ping, correct me if I'm wrong. I get no ping when I first take off, only after I've reached operating temperature, but I get it with all settings (87 Street, 87 Performance, 93 Race).

I've changed my plugs and fuel filter, also ran some fuel injector cleaner and still getting ping. If I can't sort this out in the next day or two I'm getting rid of the chip.
Old 09-11-2010, 04:05 PM
nickmckinney
3rd Gear Member

Depends if they just threw the SCT canned settings in there.

If you are getting ping at WOT with all the settings try cleaning/swapping the MAF first. If its reading crappy it will cause WOT ping.

Quick Reply: Going to 180 degree thermo, what about my fans?