4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

04 gt to sn95 Cobra, Worth the switch?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 12:15 AM
wws2010
1st Gear Member

Default 04 gt to sn95 Cobra, Worth the switch?

Hey everybody, I have a 04 gt with 30,000 miles and am just wanting a little more in a car. It is nice but I got stuck with an automatic and I have always wanted a cobra. There are tons of them in daytona beach where I am going to college so I was considering selling my car for about $11,000 and buying a cobra with like 50000 miles and investing the rest in the car or saving it for college. Would this be a good decision? I only drive it about 10 miles a week and I could live without it too, the only time I need to drive is cross country twice a year. You think it could make it?
Old 09-18-2010, 12:48 AM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

unless the cobra has been meticulously taken care of, then keep your GT.
Old 09-18-2010, 01:15 AM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

If the Cobra is clean, I'd do it in a heartbeat. But im not biased or anything lol
Old 09-18-2010, 02:02 AM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

If they are in similar condition, absolutely yes.
Old 09-18-2010, 03:19 AM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by wws2010
Hey everybody, I have a 04 gt with 30,000 miles and am just wanting a little more in a car. It is nice but I got stuck with an automatic and I have always wanted a cobra. There are tons of them in daytona beach where I am going to college so I was considering selling my car for about $11,000 and buying a cobra with like 50000 miles and investing the rest in the car or saving it for college. Would this be a good decision? I only drive it about 10 miles a week and I could live without it too, the only time I need to drive is cross country twice a year. You think it could make it?
lmfao. no offence but...

you have WAY too many variables for this to play out as a good decision in my book. your "considering selling your car for 11,000$", good luck. 11,000 is what, blue book value for your car in perfect condition? and you will likely end up having to accept an offer that is less than blue book value. next, you are planning on finding, and buying, a 12+ year old cobra with "like" 50,000 miles and investing whatever money left over (which likely will be none) in your car or college.

NOW. trading a new edge GT for a sn95 cobra, definately an upgrade as far as performance and stuff goes. HOWEVER, to me you seem to be riding this decision on the fact that you are absolutely going to get top dollar for your car, then find a very low mileage cobra that is 12-14 years old. if you already have the car picked out and a buyer for your car, by all means do it. but if this is just some "well i'm gonna get KBB value for my car then magically find a 50,000 mile cobra the next day thing", you need to slow down.

you are going to have to pay tax, title, tag, etc... on your new purchase. so even if the cobra you find is slightly cheaper than what you sell your car for, you may end up spending more on this new cobra by the time all is said and done than you sold your GT for. if this is no problem for you, then do it. but if you can't afford it...
Old 09-18-2010, 07:59 AM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

^#^^yep..
Old 09-18-2010, 04:39 PM
wws2010
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MU71L4710N
lmfao. no offence but...

you have WAY too many variables for this to play out as a good decision in my book. your "considering selling your car for 11,000$", good luck. 11,000 is what, blue book value for your car in perfect condition? and you will likely end up having to accept an offer that is less than blue book value. next, you are planning on finding, and buying, a 12+ year old cobra with "like" 50,000 miles and investing whatever money left over (which likely will be none) in your car or college.

NOW. trading a new edge GT for a sn95 cobra, definately an upgrade as far as performance and stuff goes. HOWEVER, to me you seem to be riding this decision on the fact that you are absolutely going to get top dollar for your car, then find a very low mileage cobra that is 12-14 years old. if you already have the car picked out and a buyer for your car, by all means do it. but if this is just some "well i'm gonna get KBB value for my car then magically find a 50,000 mile cobra the next day thing", you need to slow down.

you are going to have to pay tax, title, tag, etc... on your new purchase. so even if the cobra you find is slightly cheaper than what you sell your car for, you may end up spending more on this new cobra by the time all is said and done than you sold your GT for. if this is no problem for you, then do it. but if you can't afford it...
Well here is the thing, Cobras are like 5000 to 8000 here for the mileage I am looking for so even if I dont get top dollar it is ok. I am not rushing, this is what I plan to do in the next couple of months. I have found a couple cobras that are begging to be bought and even a frat brother has one the he is getting rid of.

On a performance note, doesn't the v4 engine have more power potential? Plus the suspension is already pretty upgraded. How would one compare to an s197? I may be able to score one from a friend for like 10,000!
Old 09-18-2010, 07:52 PM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

the 98 cobras dont have anything to brag about suspension wise theres nothing really upgraded except the brakes. wasnt until 99 when the cobra got IRS and stuff. the s197's have good potential, but i'd still take the 98 cobra i hate the way the new ones look and they are heavy and parts are retarded expensive for them.

yes, the 4v motor has much better potential as far as boltons go than the 2v's do.

if cobras are going for 5 grand with 50,000 miles, i'm making a trip to where you live.
Old 09-18-2010, 08:20 PM
crysalis_01
Banned!

I'm tempted to say build the 2v. my little brother and I were working on his '99GT before he sold it when he entered the Marine Corps.

This is what we had planned for the engine:
-Stronger 4.6L rotating assembly or do the 5.1L stoke/bore if that's more to your taste
-Set of TFS Twisted Wedge heads, Fox Lake does a nice P&P on these
-TFS Track-Heat Intake

Then add the other bolt-ons for the drive-train and suspension.

Really push that underestimated 2v. Or get the 4v. Really, you can ask us and get dozens of different responses but in the end it's YOUR car and you're the one that'll have to live with it.
Old 09-19-2010, 02:02 AM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Originally Posted by crysalis_01
Really, you can ask us and get dozens of different responses but in the end it's YOUR car and you're the one that'll have to live with it.

Troof! Dont ask us which car for YOU to buy, you make that decision.

/thread

Quick Reply: 04 gt to sn95 Cobra, Worth the switch?