4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Help with 3rd Gear Low RPM, Low Acceleration Stuttering/Rocking

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 09:43 PM
SpartanStang14
1st Gear Member

Default Help with 3rd Gear Low RPM, Low Acceleration Stuttering/Rocking

Hey,

I just got an 04 Mustang GT. It's got a K&N Cold Air Intake and some Magnaflow cat-backs. I've noticed some stuttering when I'm accelerating in 3rd gear. It's almost as if the car is rocking back and forth. I'm only at around 2000 RPM when it happens. I'm not really giving it too much throttle, just enough to get up to 45 or 50 mph (just normal acceleration). It doesn't happen when I give it more gas (around half-way down on the pedal). I notice it a little bit in 4th gear too, when I give it the same amount of gas. I guess maybe I just notice it more in 3rd because I accelerate a certain way in 3rd to get up to speed. Any ideas of what it might be or simple things I can check for? Maybe something with the intake or the fuel system? Thanks for any help!
Old 09-30-2010, 09:53 PM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

sounds like your missing, got a CEL on?

you should probably go ahead and replace the spark plugs anyways since you don't know when they were done last, and check the plug wells for antifreeze/water. if its still doing it after that, probably a bad cop.
Old 10-01-2010, 07:28 AM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

to me it sounds like your in 2 high of a gear. Trying to accelerate in 3rd only turning 2k is going to bog the motor down if you have stock gears in.
Old 10-01-2010, 08:58 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Was the MAF screen removed when the K&N intake was installed? If it's not there then it was removed...

On the OEM intake there is, sandwiched between the airbox and the MAF housing flange, a stainless steel mesh screen that straightens out the air flow through the MAF so the the small sample of flow actually measured by the MAF sensor is a solid representation of the total flow.

With this screen removed (as is often done by those that believe it to be a restriction¹), and at lower flows, the sample measured by the sensor may not be representative of the total flow--the PCM doesn't know this of course and therefore calculates an inappropriate injector pulse width, the a/f mix is then too rich or too lean, and the engine stumbles.

One other possibility for the issue you describe is a stuck or sticking EGR valve--but I'd check for the presence of the MAF screen first...

--------------------------------------------
¹ - The MAF screen does not present any restriction--click here for more about that--nor is it there to "prevent debris" from getting into the MAF as I have seen put forth. I often wonder what those that make that claim think the air filter is there for?
Old 10-01-2010, 04:13 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

When i remove the screens on other cars, it makes the cars louder. Just as it did for my car.. Why is that?
Old 10-01-2010, 04:21 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Likely increased intake noise, it's more or less in synchronisation with the exhaust making it difficult to localise.

It would also slightly, and variably as the intake flow changes, alter the MAF transfer function which would cause AFR and load calculations (and therefore timing) to change a bit.
Old 10-01-2010, 07:33 PM
Donnie's GTS
4th Gear Member

time for a tune up, my car did the same thing for a while, new plugs fixed it.
Old 10-02-2010, 07:01 PM
98fastgt

Originally Posted by cliffyk
Likely increased intake noise, it's more or less in synchronisation with the exhaust making it difficult to localise.

It would also slightly, and variably as the intake flow changes, alter the MAF transfer function which would cause AFR and load calculations (and therefore timing) to change a bit.
can i come and just drop off my car to u? LOL
Old 10-03-2010, 11:28 AM
trailor
3rd Gear Member

i'm gonna hafta agree with the spark plug guys. i had the same exact thing happen two weeks ago and new plugs fixed the problem. same thing happened with my f150 a while back as well. and he's not in too high of a gear if you're nearing 2k rpms when you notice the problem. another good way to make sure is to get on it a little bit, and make sure when you shift into 3rd, you're doing over 3k rpms. if the syptoms are unnoticeable at this point, you're most likely experiencing a miss at high load/low rpm.
Old 10-03-2010, 02:35 PM
SpartanStang14
1st Gear Member

The CEL is not on. Also, the guy that owned it before me replaced the spark plugs less than a year ago. He took pretty good care of the car. I don't notice it when I shift into 3rd at a higher RPM and when I'm giving it more throttle. It's just when I'm driving around casually that it happens.

Quick Reply: Help with 3rd Gear Low RPM, Low Acceleration Stuttering/Rocking