4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

I want more torque. Please advise me.

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2005, 09:47 PM
Stever

Default I want more torque. Please advise me.

I'm still new to the game of upgrades. I have a 2004 GT and so far I have put in a K&N filler, 3.73 gears, and a Diablo chip. But I still want more power. I think what I really want is more torque, you know, that quick 0-60 rush. Anyway, I would really like to get a supercharger but money is a little tight right now. I've been thinking of getting a cold air intake, having headers put on, and redoing the exhaust w/cat backs and the works. But even that will cost a lot to have done. About twenty four hundred I believe. If I need to wait and save my money for a super charger I will but basically my questions are of this nature: Will headers, cold air intake, and exhaust really make a difference? Will it help my gass mileage or make it worse? Will it be a waste of money and should I just save my money to get a supercharger. You know, they say that chargers these days are made to work w/your stock exhaust. I think if I could just get my car to "feel" like a Mach1 or 2001 Cobra I would be satisfied. I look forward to your answers.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:28 PM
97slobra
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: I want more torque. Please advise me.

you own a mustang... why are u concerned with gas mileage?
Old 08-16-2005, 10:49 PM
sandcracker21
4th Gear Member

think of an engine as a person

wut does a person need to live?

he needs to eat
and he needs to breath

upgrade those too areas of ur engine and you will see gains,

for example, i would get a good quality catback and midpipe right away, you will LOVE the agressive sound, and
will definatly feel a difference in power.

after that, work on how air gets in, forexample, get a CAI, TB, and P. combo

aftet that, i would continue to work on the bolt ons, such as pullys

one last thing, get sum sticky tires! they make a WORLD of difference
Old 08-16-2005, 11:52 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Stever

I'm still new to the game of upgrades. I have a 2004 GT and so far I have put in a K&N filler, 3.73 gears, and a Diablo chip. But I still want more power. I think what I really want is more torque, you know, that quick 0-60 rush. Anyway, I would really like to get a supercharger but money is a little tight right now. I've been thinking of getting a cold air intake, having headers put on, and redoing the exhaust w/cat backs and the works. But even that will cost a lot to have done. About twenty four hundred I believe. If I need to wait and save my money for a super charger I will but basically my questions are of this nature: Will headers, cold air intake, and exhaust really make a difference? Will it help my gass mileage or make it worse? Will it be a waste of money and should I just save my money to get a supercharger. You know, they say that chargers these days are made to work w/your stock exhaust. I think if I could just get my car to "feel" like a Mach1 or 2001 Cobra I would be satisfied. I look forward to your answers.
2400 seems a bit steep for a header/xpipe/catback install. I think my headers cost me 600, my x 200, and my catback 400. Thats 1200 bucks, plus say 200 for the CAI. 1000 bucks to install the exaust seems high to me. Hell, I just had the entire transmission swapped, with a LT header removal and install (to get the trans out), a new bellhousing, clutch, flywheel, and yoke installed. And it all only ran me 700 bucks.

You will be very pleased with the results of a full exuast setup. A full exaust GT with some intake boltons should be able to run with/outrun a mach 1.

The thing about the supercharger is, anything you do now to add power will add even more power when the blower is put on. If you dont have the cash, I would get the exaust installed, and skip the CAI and get some gears put in instead. Get that all done and once and it won't even feel like the same car, and it sure won't sound like the same one.

Old 08-16-2005, 11:54 PM

If you want more torque, stroke the hell out of the engine.

Old 08-17-2005, 01:28 AM
Stever

Yeah, well thanks for the info. I guess I need to do some shopping around and find a shope that can do the labor cheaper. this place that I was thinking of taking it to wants to put Basani heads and exhaust on. Of course that brand is good I'm sure but isn't there a brand that isn't so expensive and is still pretty good?
Old 08-17-2005, 04:00 AM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

Im asuming you mean basSani headERS right? Bassani is a great company, but there are many different Cheaper options. Ford racing makes headers, and so does JBA and BBK. Look on ebay, and if u have a quesiton about a brand, ask away and we will help you. The catback is way to broad to discuss now, but most popular are slp mangaflow borola flowmaster,etc(sorry if i left anyone out).
Old 08-17-2005, 04:33 AM
03GTType
5th Gear Member

if you wanted torque then why did you go with 3.73's instead of 4.10's or 4.30's [&:]
Old 08-17-2005, 12:30 PM
mustanggt04

mayb he wanted some top end along with the torque i had 410's in my car i couldnt go anywere i actually saw my gas gauge go down 3.73 best gears for mustang
Old 08-17-2005, 01:26 PM
The Great Cornholio
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: mustanggt04

mayb he wanted some top end along with the torque i had 410's in my car i couldnt go anywere i actually saw my gas gauge go down 3.73 best gears for mustang
I use 4.10s in my car as a daily driver and have had no drop in gas mileage to speak of. Top end is more than adequate at 140+ mph. What did you do that made you see the gas gauge go down while driving?

Quick Reply: I want more torque. Please advise me.