4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Air/Fuel Ratio

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2005, 02:28 PM
BlueBullitt

Default Air/Fuel Ratio

I had my car dyno'd the other day and the air/fuel ratio showed my car running very rich. I've only put a CAI on my car, but stock the car should dyno 240 rwhp. With the CAI I SHOULD be making 250 rwhp. MY car dyno'd 225 rwhp. My Air/Fuel was around 12:1 up until 4000 rpm where it dropped dramatically and by the time I hit peak power at around 4800 rpm my ration was 11.2:1. Other dyno charts I've seen for the same model show running around 13:1. The tech told me the only way to fix this problem is by getting a chip from steeda or jet....he said reseting ECU by disconnenting the battery wouldn't do the trick. Can anyone help me out here, will reseting the ECU fix my problem or do I really have to spend the $400 for a chip? I am driving a 2001 Mustang Bullitt GT.
Old 08-18-2005, 02:38 PM
code3GT
Mustang Nazi

Default RE: Air/Fuel Ratio

You need a chip.
Old 08-18-2005, 02:50 PM
AFAccord

Just to throw an idea out there, is it possible the ecu might have learned some bad fuel curves? Is it absolutely necessary to spend $400 to completely re-tune the car? BlueBullitt, did you notice any decrease in performance before you saw the A/F results? Are you having any problems running on a normal basis? or starting? I guess the question I have is this, is it even possible for an ECU to just go bad? or possible the factory tuning varied that badly between the same cars?
Old 08-18-2005, 03:01 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: BlueBullitt

I had my car dyno'd the other day and the air/fuel ratio showed my car running very rich. I've only put a CAI on my car, but stock the car should dyno 240 rwhp. With the CAI I SHOULD be making 250 rwhp. MY car dyno'd 225 rwhp. My Air/Fuel was around 12:1 up until 4000 rpm where it dropped dramatically and by the time I hit peak power at around 4800 rpm my ration was 11.2:1. Other dyno charts I've seen for the same model show running around 13:1. The tech told me the only way to fix this problem is by getting a chip from steeda or jet....he said reseting ECU by disconnenting the battery wouldn't do the trick. Can anyone help me out here, will reseting the ECU fix my problem or do I really have to spend the $400 for a chip? I am driving a 2001 Mustang Bullitt GT.
The tech isn't necessarily correct. Did you reset the ECU after you installed the CAI before you dynoed it? How long after the CAI install did you have it dynoed? It's possible the car hasn't had enough time to adjust for the CAI if you didn't reset the ECU. With resetting the ECU it's recommended to drive for 30-50 miles under various conditions to get the computer to relearn everything. Without resetting, expect around 200-300 miles.

Also, have you done anything else to the car after which you did not have a dyno done? Like exhaust? Doesn't sound like it but sometimes people forget to mention things in their original post.
Old 08-18-2005, 03:04 PM
BlueBullitt

I don't have any other mods on the car. I did not reset the ECU after I installed the CAI, but I've put atleast 300 miles on the car since the install.
Old 08-18-2005, 03:17 PM
code3GT
Mustang Nazi

I really don't want to burst your bubble, but even at running it's best, I don't think you will see 250RWHP with just a CAI. The Bullitt is rated at 265 at the crank.
Old 08-18-2005, 03:26 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: code3GT

I really don't want to burst your bubble, but even at running it's best, I don't think you will see 250RWHP with just a CAI. The Bullitt is rated at 265 at the crank.
Although I agree 250rwhp is not a reasonable expectation, I would definitely not expect the RWHP to DROP as it did from 240 to 225. It's running rich for some reason.

Code3GT, have it redynoed with the stock air intake, then put the CAI back on (without a reset) and see what happens. If the same thing happens then a chip or tuning program may be the way to go. The MAF might be getting thrown off by the larger volume of air passing through it.
Old 08-18-2005, 03:34 PM
AFAccord

Even with a very low 15% loss, 225whp would equate to a sad 260 crank hp, no where near correct specs for a even a stock Bullitt. A bone stock '00 GT that ran an hour before BlueBullitt's run, produced 231whp. I don't see a CAI reducing power like that. Maybe on a civic, but not on a mustang. I haven't seen a stock Bullitt put down less than 240 on a dyno. Which ever way you look at it, the A/F ratio is way off. Not tryin to be an ***, just making sure you're correctly informed before you give your best opinion.
Old 08-18-2005, 04:40 PM
code3GT
Mustang Nazi

ORIGINAL: AFAccord

Even with a very low 15% loss, 225whp would equate to a sad 260 crank hp, no where near correct specs for a even a stock Bullitt. A bone stock '00 GT that ran an hour before BlueBullitt's run, produced 231whp. I don't see a CAI reducing power like that. Maybe on a civic, but not on a mustang. I haven't seen a stock Bullitt put down less than 240 on a dyno. Which ever way you look at it, the A/F ratio is way off. Not tryin to be an ***, just making sure you're correctly informed before you give your best opinion.

What kind of crank HP do you think a stock Bullitt makes?

Old 08-18-2005, 05:01 PM
The Great Cornholio
I ♥ Acer

Why not use a flash tuner rather than a chip?

Quick Reply: Air/Fuel Ratio